Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT
(12-27-2019, 07:55 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: On the national television broadcast from TNT they commented in some detail on the way the Mavs use Kristaps Porzingis offensively, particularly the relatively lack of inside play or 'Post up play'.  The remarks were replied to directly by Rick Carlisle Carlisle responds about the post up  after a reporter referenced the criticism that aired on the National Broadcast.   

While acknowledging respect for Coach Carlisle, a coach with an NBA championship on his resume and respected as a top coach in the NBA around the league, the remarks got pretty, pretty sharp at points from Barkley, Shaq and even Kenny respectfully criticized the general way Porzingis offense is being used saying the ratio of inside shots, close to the basket should be more like 7 to 3 inside vs 3 pointers rather than the reverse it seems to often be now. 

https://youtu.be/L1UzpWZgu_Q?t=767Inside The NBA | Charles & Shaq "strong reacts": Mavericks 102-98 Spurs, Jazz  

Its all part of the bigger trends in NBA offense, guard dominated vs center dominated, 3-point revolution etc.  
My general thought is Rick is right overall about the trends of the league and the facts bear that out especially when we talk about post up play and its massive decline across the league. 

On the other hand I do agree somewhat that there is a problem evident sometimes in the way some coaches, Rick Carlisle included, skew perimeter offense even at times where inside play from big men would make much more sense.   
The massive case in point came just the other day when the Mavericks rotations and offense blew a massive late game 30 point lead to go into the history books as one of the worst blown leads of all time in the league

Quote:It ended up being the biggest comeback in franchise history for the Raptors, who trailed by 30 points late in the third quarter. According to ESPN Stats & Information research, it was the first 30-point comeback by an NBA team in a regular-season game in a decade

In fact the Mavericks as a franchise have some history for blowing these massive leads.  It may well have to do with fact that several Mavs coaches and Mavs teams have tended to be perimeter oriented and lacked high percentage reliable inside big men scoring which can help stabilize offensive spurts and preserve leads against counter runs

That said there's no denying that Carlisle is right about post up play in general The Post-up Is Deader Than Dead in the NBA

Quote:the post-up is much deader now than five years ago. Since the 2014-15 season, the leaguewide post-up rate has been cut nearly in half, down to just 4.7 percent of possessions thus far in 2019-20.

Where the discussion and disagreement might be misleading regarding the Mavs and Porzingis is that it wasn't necessarily just about Post up play but about getting baskets that are close to the basket.   As Shaq said, shots close to the basket are simply higher percentage.  
Rick Carlisle has other ways of getting those shots for KP however including many of his great rim runs, slashes, rolls leading to dunks and great finishes. 

Another good point Barkley made is that its not as though Porzingis and many other big men are shooting the great 40% 3 range and in fact sometimes the % is quite low.   So its worth questioning if perhaps a few of those shots would have been better taken inside, and maybe drawing a foul as well. 
Then on the other hand again, when suddenly KP drains 3 3's in a row it can help blow a game open quickly. 

In terms of the 1/2 court offense however, this debate will continue no doubt and be fun to watch especially since the Mavericks have a some of the biggest BIG men in the league and a unicorn star at 7'3" with a size (length anyway) advantage to exploit almost every night. 
I concur.

(12-29-2019, 05:57 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I've written quite a bit in this thread and I want to go full circle back to the thread title and put a bow on this, possibly for just my own satisfaction.

The title is: Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT

So the TNT guys thought KP could be used more effectively, and that he should play more like a 7'3" should play. Maybe even more like what he had done in NY.

Rick came to the defense of KP, how he's playing and how he's being used.

The thing that baffles me about some of this discussion stems from this thread's responses to TNT vs Rick, the post up debate (the thing that begat the thread).

Do folks really prefer that KP play more like he did in NY?

Do folks really not like that Rick ranted IN DEFENSE of KP?

This discussion just seems so simple to me. Of course KP will do better to fit into the Mavs system rather than they way NY plays. Of course it's awesome that Rick went to bat for KP.

Is TNT vs Rick regarding KP post ups (see thread title) really a debate?

No!!!

The only way folks have made any headway in taking TNT's side is to move the initial goal posts and adjust what the TNT guys said.

"It's not actually about post ups, it's about getting shots close to the basket."

Oh, but he does get shots close to the basket.

"Oh well, it's about, it's about..."

No, it's actually about the TNT guys having no idea what's going on with KP and the Mavs system, and about a coach publicly squashing the silliness in defense of his guy.

Look, pal, Kp sucks. 
Hes good at blocking shots. Hes shawn Bradley with three point range. Hes also softer than fresh biscuits on a Sunday morning
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT - by J0n - 12-30-2019, 11:20 PM