Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT
(12-27-2019, 01:58 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I had to switch off mobile dark to read the entire OP. A couple of thoughts:

There are several quotes in the OP, some I think from the OP and some from TNT that imply that post play is the answer to scoring buckets in end game scenarios. One quote suggests that the Mavs have a history of blowing leads because they've been perimeter oriented. 

I don't buy either. Tell me which NBA teams are closing games by throwing the ball into the low post? Drive and score or kick has replaced low post sets, and for good reason. Also, the Mavs aren't a perimeter team. For a large percentage of their offense they use spacing and motion to get players moving downhill towards the basket. Many of their 3s come from this.

Shaq says shots closer to the basket are higher percentage. And Barkley says it's not like these big guys are shooting 40%. 

But we know better than to fall for this logic. The value of a shot isn't found in shooting percentage alone. It takes shooting over 50% on 2s to create more value than 33% on 3s, not to mention 3 pt shooting creates valuable space for the most valuable shot, the one taken at the rim.

I think we're using bad logic about shot value combined with a misdiagnosis of the Mavs end game issues and mixing that with a discussion of how KP should be used. 

Playing a downhill game that results in shots at the rim and open 3s is creates more valuable shots than a post up game.

Teams don't close games by turning to post ups, they continue to play downhill.

The Mavs end game woes have been about failure to execute under pressure, not about needing post ups.

KP has the perfect skill set, I think, to play in the game the Mavs are playing, and we've seen glimpses of beautiful basketball result from it.

GS turned to KDs iso/post up game in crucial moments. Raptors turned to Kawhis oldman Jordan game last season. What you are mentioning is working in 9/10 cases and I want the Mavs to run a pick and roll motion offense.
For me the entire postup debate isn´t really about KP. It´s more about the Mavs needing a different scheme on offense to get buckets when the shooters are cold and the pick and roll motion offense isn´t working. Isos, post ups, whatever works. They need a bail out option.
I don´t want them to end up like the D´Anthony Rockets. Missing 19 consecutive 3s in game 7 of the conference finals.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT - by dirkfansince1998 - 12-27-2019, 02:09 PM