Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Raptors 110
I don't think Carlisle ever dreamed they would blow a 30 point lead.  You could see in the way he didn't use time-outs and encouraged the team to play on that he wanted to give players the opportunity to right the ship themselves.  They eventually started breaking the press.  The part I couldn't understand is the guy who first touched the ball in the front court would then hold the ball to run a half court set instead of attacking the defense as it scrambled to get back.  You have to punish the press once it is broken.  Otherwise, there is no incentive to stop pressing.

My biggest concern here is psychological.  In the big picture, it doesn't really matter if this teams wins or loses by 30 or 2.  We entered this 5 game stretch thinking two wins would be a nice outcome WITH Luka.  We went 2-3 without him, came back to force OT in the game he got hurt and had a 30 point lead with 14 minutes to go in Toronto.  I think most of us would have taken that two weeks ago.

Brunson got some valuable experience running the show.  Until Sunday, KP was taking more offensive weight onto his shoulders and showed glimpses of what might be (I still say he never was a dominant offensive player and to expect that here is a bit much to ask).  We learned something about the ability of our other guards to create for themselves and others.  This great Offense of ours is a delicate balance that works well with Luka.  But, Brunson, Wright, Curry and Hardaway get a bit exposed when asked to do too much.

Blowing a 30 point lead is a shame and an embarrassment.  But we've also won games by huge margins.  At the end of the season we will have something in the range of 50-56 wins and be the 4th-6th seed.  None of this will matter because no team will successfully press Luka.  What matters is getting everyone ready for the first round of the playoffs as best we can and that means learning experiences have great value...even painful ones.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Raptors 110 - by DanSchwartzgan - 12-23-2019, 07:36 AM