Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs - 1st Round: Los Angeles Clippers - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-2!
(04-19-2024, 11:56 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Now..I guess there are a few things the anti-Ky crowd are clutching to suggest he isnt some great person.  I dont know what happened in Brooklyn or Boston.   I think its mostly Brooklyn they say he broke up the team.   All I know is that KD and him were getting along like besties even at the very end of Brooklyn breakup.  Maybe Ky made a business decision for himself here or there...but so do A LOT of NBA players.

The hate towards the guy is so clownish.

The Brooklyn thing was multi-layered. First he was injured his entire first year there. Same with KD. No one cared because KD was rehabbing his achilles and the team wasn't great anyways. But obviously if you're being paid a max contract and aren't playing, fans aren't going to be kind.

2nd year COVID happened. And Kyrie refused the vaccine. Without getting into personal opinions, the BRK front office forced every player to get it or else they wouldn't play for the team. Kyrie indignantly refused. Then New York City said unvaxxed players on traveling teams could play, but not players from their home team...??? Made zero sense. Kyrie felt that the New York media painted him as a devil and that the BRK front office threw him under the bus. Fans of the team made him out to be a pariah because of his personal beliefs and just the dialogue around COVID was toxic at best. 

3rd year started off with Kyrie tweeting a link to a movie on Amazon about how the Holocaust never happened, and that Jews of today aren't the real Jews. That was all the media needed to attack Kyrie and blow it up as much as they could. Don't get me wrong. He was 100% wrong to be promoting such a film, but the way the media pounced was vicious. Mind you this was at the exact same time Kanye went off on his own tirade about the Jews and Kyrie somehow got caught up into the same conversation (that he kind of put himself in). BRK then banned him and said he needs to apologize with an essay AND donate money to Jewish organizations before he could be considered to be allowed to come back and play. A punishment that resembles what high schoolers have to do when they cheat on an exam. I still remember players around the league saying what BRK was making Kyrie do was outlandish and ridiculous.

Kyrie isn't a saint in all of this. He added fuel to the fire with that movie link he tweeted out. He has some really whacky views. I really dislike his apparent denial of the holocaust. But the New York media AND the Brooklyn front office did everything in their power to destroy the guys image because he didn't align with their views.

Now this is a gross oversimplification of the timeline and there are a lot of nuances here.  

I for one am glad Kyrie feels like he can be himself in Dallas and that there hasn't been any PR nightmare of an issue.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • aussiemaverick, DallasMaverick, fifteenth, Lukedoncic, MFFL
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Playoffs - 1st Round: Los Angeles Clippers - Dallas Mavericks - by SleepingHero - 04-19-2024, 12:14 PM