Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 53: Oklahoma City Thunder (35-16) vs. Dallas Mavericks (29-23)
(02-10-2024, 05:53 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Must be hard to please you. Literally everyone else is ecstatic about both of their debuts. What were you expecting?

A good Organization and good on-court system can make a player look good.   I guess we can look at Andrew Wiggins in Golden State before last year as an example.

I think Mavs need to hope this is what happens with PJ here.   

Eye test and stats suggest he is mediocre as an NBA player in a not so great situation.  Does he have the measurements, fundamental skill and athleticism...yup.   

Im not a scout.   All I know is I bought League pass a couple of years ago to watch Lamelo play...Washington never jumped off the screen.   His advanced stats seem to reinforce the eye test.  At least advanced stats that posters here discuss.   Im an eye test guy, not a numbers guy.   But again...Im a casual going with only eye test.

Im lazy...I havent broken down the trades we made(wouldnt know what I was doing)...it looks like there is wordsmithing going on about what the cost to acquire PJ was...it was or wasnt worth a FRP or protected FRP.  It seems Mavs are still using precious assets on targeting risky endeavors(players that havent proven anything that are on the cheap) or guys with weird flaws.

My small sample size opinion is that PJ didnt rise to the occasion like Gafford was trying to do.  Gafford read the room, could feel it and knew what was happening in the arena.   PJ...you just couldnt feel it.   His stats were worthy...and maybe thats all Mavs need.   But...CALL ME CRAZY...maybe some of these Organizations need the ENERGY Gafford provided along with stats.   Sometimes its the energy that matters more than stats.    PJ didnt really provide energy that you could notice.   I want someone that can read the room, know its a Playoff game,  feel the energy, absorb it and reflect it...like Gafford did.  Not a brick in the wall.   

Im sure PJ will work here.  He's a fit.   I want him to succeed as a player.  But I want the Mavs to find less risky guys that jump off the screen impact wise too.  I hope he turns into our Wiggins.  I really do.

I think Mavs should try and acquire a larger more athletic PF that is more menacing...in the 20M+ range.   An Aaron Gordon type player...someone with decent skill but menacing on defense.

Ultimately my attitude is...I think Mavs are being risky with using scarce assets on 5th best player on contending team guys that are fit guys...over acquiring talent that doesnt meet their percentage requirements.   PJ will probably work out...I just wouldnt expect his energy to lift the team or expect his energy to lift the team in serious moments like the Playoffs.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 02-10-2024, 05:28 PM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 02-10-2024, 05:47 PM
RE: Game 53: Oklahoma City Thunder (35-16) vs. Dallas Mavericks (29-23) - by youzigizag - 02-10-2024, 11:02 PM