Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ideal roles for the current roster
Omahen has been speaking in terms of the numerical roles of the current players, as in, where they would fall in the pecking order of a contending team. I have always found that a useful way to talk about players and/or look at the roster needs. In assigning those numbers, remember Pat Riley's concept of "play eight, trust six." If the assigned number is lower than 8, they wouldn't play in the playoffs if you're really contending.

It's sure a lot more dire than it looked in November, when I would have likely assigned higher numbers to many of the non-Luka/Kai players.

Luka - best player on a contending team. Clearly a 1.
Kyrie - 2
Lively - 5 right now, should be a 4 as soon as next year. Incredible.
Exum - 5. I've seen people say he won't be effective in the playoffs. His pre-injury play calls an emphatic "BS" on that.

THJ - 7. Probably should be lower.
GW - 8, because he's already done that for the Celtics in the final four. Shame on those of us who anticipated higher, though.
Green - 9
DJJ - 9, if that.
Powell - 9. Yes, he's played well lately, and can help in a pinch. How much of last night's loss has to do with his absence?
Maxi - 10. Higher, as high as 7, if he can get healthy and reliable and regain his old form.
Hardy - 12.
Lawson - 12
OMax - 12 right now, but I wish this guy would get some burn, because I think his ceiling could be as high as 3 if they develop him and he responds well.
Curry - 13. Was once as high as 8, now old and washed.
Morris - 15
Holmes - n/a, evidently.

Lots of holes. Makes sense that Luka is frustrated. Imagine if they had whiffed on Lively or not gotten Exum - far worse.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41, omahen
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Ideal roles for the current roster - by Scott41theMavs - 01-25-2024, 02:02 PM
RE: Ideal roles for the current roster - by loki - 01-27-2024, 01:42 PM
RE: Ideal roles for the current roster - by loki - 01-27-2024, 02:56 PM
RE: Ideal roles for the current roster - by Jym - 04-13-2024, 03:43 PM