Poll: Are you satisfied with the offseason?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
91.67%
33 91.67%
No
8.33%
3 8.33%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far)
(07-14-2023, 10:34 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I said yes, I don’t see any way around this offseason being any less than good.

I am absolutely with you Omahen in that we should have done better (why isn’t the 28 pick swap a good alternative in the Capela trade? If 2 SRPs are not enough but 27 is too much, it seems like such a simple compromise.). Feels like they are valuing that 27 (and THJ) like Masai values Siakam and OG. A FRP is what is used to get a starting player who will anchor your defense so I would have used it, especially if it means they shut up about wanting Green or Hardy (which I have no doubt is also being discussed). Take the names out of it and tell me a good rebounder and defensive anchoring, rim protecting C who gets 12 and 11 for a good 6th man bench player who has improved defense on 14-16 ppg and a first is not a deal that gets done around the league as good value?

On to another subject as I know someone is going to come in and tell me that pick is too valuable and Capela ain’t it. Can we cut to the chase and just agree to disagree?

Powell vs Holmes. As much as I want Holmes to succeed here (especially considering this is probably it), I think the continuity of having Powell out there will take precedence at least to start the season. I’m thinking though, that it’s Lively that starts out getting less minutes, much to the chagrin of most everyone here. Holmes gets the main backup minutes until he proves he’s better than Powell, or is the 3rd string C from Sac. At that point, it’s either Powell/Maxi/Lively or Holmes/Maxi/Lively for the rest of the season.

In conclusion, please let there be more to this offseason!

I don’t agree with all of this, but I think it’s a fair perspective and nothing is over the top. 

I feel a little sorry for other folks who can’t get past the Powell thing. Sure, they clearly wanted to do better at that, specific position, but they are allocating resources responsibly for the first time in like a decade, and imo they have a lot of tangible improvement to show for it. I’d go so far as to say they had a superior off-season by employing a frugal approach than they would have had they spent freely. 

They went from 0 athletic, defensive forwards to 2. That, alone, will change this season’s outlook for me. Williams and O-max are BOTH going to be so much more impactful than I think most realize. 

They got younger. That won’t help win games this year, but it sure does pump some hope into a situation that was pretty damn bleak a couple of months ago.

They re-signed Kyrie on a more team-friendly deal than I expected. Either he works out here or he doesn’t, but if it’s the latter, I can now envision him being tradable to positive effect, and the rest of the roster makes it clear what you’d want back in that eventuality.

Say what you want about Powell, but on THIS contract? Yes, please. 

The Curry move is “meh” from me, but it’s certainly more positive than negative. 

There’s reason to hope that both Green and Hardy can take a step this season. In Green’s case, that step means he’d be a quality high-minute player. 

They replaced Bertans with Holmes, a player who has an outside chance of actually being useful, and a player who just last season (and certainly the season before) people were proposing as a target for the Mavs to actually spend assets to acquire.

They added Lively as a project center. “Project” has a wide array of meanings around here, but come on…can’t we all agree that he’s a better use of time/resources than Bamba or Bol Bol? Surely, we can. If not, think about the recent swings from the past: WCS…Moses Brown…Chris. I have a good feeling about this one.

They subtracted Bullock, the biggest disappointment of last season for me. 

Even the end of the bench swing they took on Exum has me a little jazzed. I like him more than Ntilikina. 

They didn’t blow the last bit of their draft capital, against all odds. 

What I expected was a Kyrie signing and then a trade on draft night involving #10 and probably ‘27 that brought in one underwhelming veteran. If they had gone that way, we’d have realized by the all-star break that this entire era was done because there would have been no room to move forward from there. All draft capital gone. Same level of team, only older and sadder. Most importantly, asset-poorer.

The Mavs just gave themselves so many ways to improve in the near future. This off-season has exceeded my wildest expectations and they might be able to accomplish one more thing. Those who see Powell’s name jotted into rotation speculation and can’t get past it are losing the plot a little, imho.
[-] The following 10 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, Jmaciscool, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Mavsdemon, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far) - by KillerLeft - 07-14-2023, 11:05 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-14-2023, 11:34 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-16-2023, 07:32 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-17-2023, 09:18 AM
RE: Jason Terry - by HoosierDaddyKid - 07-18-2023, 12:12 AM