Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stein: "Don't Worry About Mavs Moves"
(07-04-2023, 08:27 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: A lot of the problem is our FO is so tight lipped that we have no idea what the offers are. If all they are offering is THJ, Holmes and McGee with no pick, no Hardy, no Green, nothing else, it’s no wonder nothing is happening. I know you like THJ, but the NBA has spoken, his contract is not in any way desirable.

It’s plan powder, but with picks. I know there are differences between the two ideas, but in the end when we have a player of Kyrie’s caliber at his age and on his contract I think it’s just as irresponsible to ignore that.

Teams use picks to dump money all the time. It has value for a reason. Getting off of all our 2 year bad contracts also has long term planning value as well. I know that is not lost on any of you guys. I just can’t understand why you can’t put stock in that vision as well.

None of this changes what YOU said: that their assets aren’t good enough to afford them the players they really need. 

When faced with that situation, you get younger. Seems like that’s part of the Mavs’ thinking here. I’m fine with it, because they’ve been a race car speeding towards a red light ever since the Porzingis experiment failed. You just can’t miss on those blockbuster, multi-pick moves, imo, especially not if you’re going to follow that up by letting your 2nd best player, a star, walk for nothing. At some point, the bill comes due. 

Instead of running out the ground ball out, why not switch gears and start building towards the next Luka decision point. I think they might have a chance of pulling themselves to a good place by then, but I have no faith whatsoever that trading that UNPROTECTED ‘27 now will net something that will make them a contender. None.  They can’t even afford Jarred freaking Allen, ffs.

It’s over. This is a tactical retreat, imo, but a fairly well executed one, so far. Should they have made the Kyrie trade? No, I think it was dummmmmbbbb and said so at the time. You could make the argument that they are chasing the sunk cost a little too much even now by signing him, imho. But, I’m willing to roll with it because the contract isn’t terrible.  

You seem to be hung up on the logic being not trading ‘27 now because they’re itching to make another multi-pick swing later, and maybe that will be the play, but MAYBE NOT! Look how well they’ve been drafting, lately? Who’s to say they won’t continue to USE the picks, at least for a while, until they ARE one player away from contention and DO have the assets (including young players) to snag him? Hell, just look what they were able to do with ONE lowish lottery pick a few weeks ago! Why not try to get more swings at moves like THAT?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-04-2023, 06:53 AM
RE: Stein: "Don't Worry About Mavs Moves" - by KillerLeft - 07-04-2023, 11:43 PM