Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finney-Smith at the SF, Improvement in Rebounding
(07-09-2022, 04:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It’s not about counting-style stats. It’s about creating advantages that lead to 3 on 2, 2 on 1 opportunities. If you can match your players up with opponents who are slower, less athletic and not as long as yours, DFS (and others) can win you possessions without touching the ball. It’s all about how much the defense has to move, and how early in the process of each possession they have to move. 

But to be clear, I never said “everything.” That’s something you added. 

The kind of stats called “counting” stats aren’t really all that helpful in situations like this, because this isn’t baseball. If two players who both average 12 rebounds per game are put together on the same team, it’s not as if they’re going to average 24 rebounds per game as a tandem. That’s just not something that any real basketball fan would believe. You can compare counting stats of one player to a player with a similar role on an opposing team - that can be helpful.  But within a team, it’s all about skill set fit, play style, chemistry, etc, etc, etc.

Agreed that a glue player like DFS adds more than shows up in the stats.  See Draymond.

Speaking of Draymond, don't the GSW start Looney/Green/Wiggins in the frontcourt?  How is that unlike Mcgee/Wood/DFS?

(07-09-2022, 04:10 PM)cow Wrote: One more think about DFS.  He's always known his role on the team but has had some confidence issues on the offensive side of the ball.  I think he'll overcome those confidence issues with the team's playoff run along with him garnering some national media attention, league recognition, and a new contract securing his place as a core member of this team.  I think he realizes he is a badass now and will finally come into his own completely.  He knows he's not that undrafted guy that couldn't hit the long ball anymore nor is a guy on a bargain contract for a team devoid of talent.

spot on!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Finney-Smith at the SF, Improvement in Rebounding - by nash_funk - 07-09-2022, 04:18 PM