Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was right, Kamm was wrong (ab Gobert)
(04-30-2022, 05:15 AM)burekemde Wrote: You can't be a one-way player if you are the best. It's a huge liability for your team. The biggest problem with Gobert is not only that he can't guard the perimeter. This disadvantage is not there when proper schemes are made, as he is a monster inside in the paint that dominates defensively, arguably the best defensive player in the paint. The major problem with Gobert is that he is bad on offense. Shaq said it also. The main issue is he has no offense. If you look in the past days of NBA, the same was true, players needed to produce on both ends, and the reason players like Shaq dominated is that they could do something great on both ends of the floor. Once you are liability on one end, it hurts your team. Just look at Trae Young as an extreme example that does nothing well on defense. Gobert can do something on offense, but he is either bad or mediocore.

However, that being said, it is not unthinakable that Gobert can be made into an offensive force. Luka could pull that off with pick and roll game, just like Luka is able to make Powell much better offensive force than any other PG could ever do. So, in a proper scheme, and I have to say Dallas is the only or one of the few teams, where Gobert could be made into a two way player. On defense, Goberts play and inability to cover perimeter, makes it necessary to play zone and channel players into him in the paint to get the most out of him.

But the real and main issue is lack of offense. If Gobert was a monster on offense, this would force other teams to play a big center, and those cant play offense as well, and this then would remove Goberts need on defense to play at the perimeter. But, because Gobert cant play offense, opposing teams are able to go smaller, and this makes also some trouble for Utah on the defensive end.

When you talk superstars, top money, you need the entire package, without any majors holes or disadvantages. For instance, Luka, Lebron, Giannis, Kawhi. Two way players. We saw Luka last game winning the game for us on the defensive end to clinch the series. There are too many things Gobert cant do, on both ends, and it puts pressure on your team, to hide those deficiencies. But in a proper scheme and surrounded by right players, Gobert could play a lot better than now. He would be better for Dallas than he is for Utah. But there would always be disadvantages that other teams could exploit. Powell, doesn't have those major holes, he is solid in most of it, moves really fast for a big guy, switches really well, can cover perimeter, and although he doesn't excell at anything other than rim rolling, sometimes not having the major disadvantage is all that matters.
I think this is all true, but the risks that it doesn’t work out this way went way up after watching him for the last month or so in the regular season and in the playoffs. His coordination is pretty bad on the offensive side. I would love the offensive rebounds, but if he tries to go back up with the ball, it’s almost a waste of a stat. Kinda like Powell with the ball below his shoulders.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I was right, Kamm was wrong (ab Gobert) - by ItsGoTime - 04-30-2022, 06:13 AM