Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARTICLE: "Luka Doncic and Rick Carlisle: The dissolution of their relationship"
(12-15-2021, 01:58 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Overall comments on article --

I don't have a problem with investigative journalism in sports. There aren't many media types in the DFW market who are willing to risk it, so I generally applaud the few who are. 

The article overall is subject to a criticism that can often be leveled at investigative journalism these days, given the pressure on the journalists to produce views. When something smells a little fishy and  you closely examine some of the stories, it's not that they're wrong, exactly. It's that they're presented in such a manner as to seem more controversial or more significant than maybe they really were. This is pretty common, and I think Tim does some of that here. He's got to make a living. 

Overall takeaways that the article seems to be presenting --

1. Nobody liked Rick. 

2  Rick really did have a doghouse, and was determined to make its residents miserable.

3. Luka did a lot of shouting and cursing at Carlisle, even in public at games. 

4. DSJ got the short end of the stick. 

5. Cuban didn't do much in the way of addressing the dysfunction other than canning Donnie and then hiring Kidd without conducting the usual search process. 

6. Some of the problems with the team culture seem improved, but the on-court performance is disappointing.

I think your summary and your comments are both well done. Not much to disagree with. I think "presented in such a manner as to seem more controversial or more significant than maybe they really were" is fair. 

I don't like the bullying, but like I've said, coaches being jerks has been part of my world view since I was at least 5 years old. 

The thing that I dislike the most about the Rick news is the idea that he'd be paranoid about Jamahl. But, as others have said, Rick gave Jamahl a good report during his job search.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ARTICLE: "Luka Doncic and Rick Carlisle: The dissolution of their relationship" - by fifteenth - 12-15-2021, 02:48 PM