Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Anyone else concerned about Porzingis?
(11-03-2019, 02:15 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:35 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: KP's much closer to a Josh Howard or Michael Finley.   

Now THATS a take.

I vehemently disagree. Neither J-Ho or Fin ever averaged anything close to KP, nor were as complete as a player as KP is. The only time either of them were close to KP was Fin in 1999-00, putting up up 22 and 6.

KP is a legit franchise cornerstone. . .
Finley at his peak was a 21 ppg scorer with 6 rpg, and 5 assists on a WINNING team. Josh Howard at his peak was a 2-way stud averaging 18-20 ppg on a WINNING team. This is not a diss because both those guys were all-star caliber players in their prime. 

I should have elaborated that he's much closer to their tier than say Dirk for example, who many have compared KP to. Maybe Pau Gasol if you want a non-Mav example.

With all due respect, Porzingis hasn't proven anything yet. His best season was when he played 48 games and averaged 21 ppg on a losing Knicks team. He was named an all-star but it was in the East. How many all-star appearances do we think KP gets in the next few years? He's competing with Towns, Davis, Jokic, Gobert, and several other up and coming big's like Ayton, JJJ, Zion*, etc. 

It seems like many are valuing talent over actual production. I believe in KP but we need to see more if you're wishing to throw the franchise player tag on him. I think he's plenty good enough to be the Robin on a championship team, I just don't see elite player. 

(11-03-2019, 03:14 PM)HugoStick Wrote: People are overreacting way too early in the season. To suggest that he's more Michael Finley or Josh Howard is really underselling the talent he has. The guy is getting re-acclimated into the league after being out for 2 years, and is having to learn how to play with someone like Luka, which is he also not familiar with.

Like you say, he's easily a franchise player. No amount of practice is going to recreate the same experience they get by playing in actual games, so no reason to expect that even being here last year means he is going to be completely integrated into the offense. He's going to have to continue working with Luka and RC to figure out the best way to get him the shots he needs, especially now with some real games under his belt.  

We must give this duo time for their potential to blossom.
It's way too early, this is all for conversation's sake so I suggest taking everything with a grain of salt. 

But if saying he's closer to Howard or Finley is an overreaction. . . then saying he's easily a franchise player is also an overreaction.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone else concerned about Porzingis? - by Fuerza1 - 11-03-2019, 05:50 PM