Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Raptors 102
(11-17-2019, 05:41 AM)Jym Wrote: Had missed your recaps. Hopefully you have time to keep putting these together 
Always seem to put some nuance  I was just half thinking about into words.

I never give him any praise, but I wanted to give DFS a shout out for some clutchiness. Had that 3 at around the 4 minute mark to put us up 11. 
He seems to have a knack for bricking all of his shots until it comes down to a key moment in the fourth when he'll swish one.
Thanks, Jym.

I had thought about writing up DFS, but thought he didn't have quite the game the others did. I can do it now, I guess. 

He was fifth in game minutes, with 31. He had 10 relatively inefficient points (1-5 3PTA, 3-6 2PTA, 1-2 FTA), but like Maxi, made a contribution on the defensive end. As I recall, Dodo drew some duty on Fred Van Vleet, who torched the Mavs for 24 points, albeit hitting 4-11 3PTA. Did not re-watch to see how much of that came against DFS. It could have been even worse, for sure. 

I know what you mean about DFS coming up big when you least expect it. How often have you seen him put in a frustrating offensive performance, and then hit a devastating three at just the right time? I thought he was also effective in the paint against Toronto. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Mavs upgrade that position when they get the chance, and transition DFS to a regular bench player. But in the meantime, I think we have to cut him a little slack, and be happy with an above-average defensive and okay offensive performance from him. If you disagree, I would respect that, and am certainly not wedded to that assessment. 

As you mention, he played well at the end of the game. The three with four minutes remaining was exciting. Although he missed a free throw after that, I don't think we need hold that against him. 

Thanks for the thoughts!

(11-17-2019, 02:04 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-17-2019, 01:31 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-17-2019, 12:02 PM)Davevoid Wrote: Awesome summary, as usual! You should do this stuff for a living...

Just a minor correction and a little bit of trivia:

(11-17-2019, 03:04 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:     Maxi (38).  Superb defensive work by the man from Wurzberg. 

It's actually WurzbUrg, or Würzburg in German, but I know that typing those umlauts on vowels is quite the hassle.

A 'Burg' is a castle, of which there is an imposing one overlooking the city, while 'Berg' means hill or usually mountain.

No offense, mavsluvr, but as a resident of this beautiful town I just felt obligated to give you some insights...

Burg is more fortress I think, while Schloss is castle.
Basically means something like spice fortress or spiced fortress or spicing fortress.

I wanna get schloss'd and then go to BlancoBurg!
LOL. Sounds like fun!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Raptors 102 - by mavsluvr - 11-17-2019, 02:25 PM