Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dameris and Followill on the Presser
(07-17-2021, 11:30 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Problems:

Mavericks

Location?  

1) Is Dallas really that undesirable of a city?  I dont buy that.  Every other team seems to be able to acquire talent.

Philosophy?  

1) There is a negative stigma attached to Dallas amongst basketball players hindering the Mavs from signing players?   Mavericks are interested in chasing and employing white Europeans instead of employing black American made basketball players?  I dont buy this either.

2) Mavs are considered incompetent amongst players and agents?   Something Mavs are doing within has turned players off?  I can kind of buy this.  But what is it?  How Cubes runs the show(known dysfunction around the league)?   Plan Powder?  Not drafting and developing? Bad with managing the books/giving out bad contracts preventing team the ability to sign talent?

3) Mavs style of basketball is a turn off to players?  Analytics guys ruining the fun of the sport and not wanting to play here?  Maybe...but doubt it.  

Facilities?

1)  Mavs are built and run like a 3rd world hospital?  I dont buy this.  From all accounts Mavs have great facilities.

Mark Cuban

Personality?

1)  Mark is not liked and people/players dont want to work for/with him?  I dont buy this.  I dont hear a lot of people saying Mark is wonderful or anything...but awful and avoidable?  I doubt it.  

Mark the Manager/Businessman

1) Mark is considered a joke around the league for the way he manages and players steer clear?  Maybe but I doubt this.   If it was a big deal I suspect changes would have been made earlier. I am not saying Mark isnt the cause of some dysfunction...I am saying I dont think players would avoid Mavs over some hierarchy issues within a Front Office.  I could be wrong, though.

2) Mark made is money in a shady way and word is out on how he operates thus players avoiding him?  I doubt it but maybe.  Mark is a slave driver in other businesses?  Dont buy it?  Mark is a scam artist that takes advantage of the young and elderly for financial gain in other businesses?  Maybe but business is a dirty game.  I assume Mark would be a blind/anonymous investor in those kind of things if he was involved.   

Donnie Nelson

Personality?

1) Donnie was not liked and players did not want to come to Dallas?  Highly doubt it.  Donnie seemed to be well liked.

Donnie the Manager/Businessman?

1) Donnie is considered a bad roster builder, negotiator and all around manager?  Possibly.  Players look at Donnie as being a yes man to Mark's questionable decision making as a reason not to sign with Mavericks?  Maybe but doubt it.

2) Donnie didnt manage his underlings properly?  Possibly.   I dont know what Mark said Donnie's job description was.   Was Mark or Donnie in charge of implementing a proper chain of command? Who knows.  Does this prevent talent from coming to the Mavs?  I doubt it.

Rick Carlisle

Personality?

1) Rick was considered a hard ass that turned players off? Very good possibility.   Word around the League was Rick is unenjoyable to play for leading to players avoiding the Mavs when they had options?  I can definitely see this causing issues acquiring talent.

2) Rick is some kind of weirdo that is impossible to get along with?  Doubt it.

Rick the Coach?

1) Rick was a terrible coach?  Unlikely.  Rick didnt know a thing about x and o's?  Doubt it.

2) Rick was uncompromising in his coaching ways?  I can see this being an issue with players/Front Office.

3) Rick was uncreative and behind the times with the way the modern NBA is played?  Could be but I doubt it.

Agencies

1) Player Agencies are steering players away from Mavs for some reason?  Maybe for some of the reasons above?  I dont know if I buy this as being a big deal.   Players want money.   I dont know what all Rich Paul and Lebron have going on that everyone talks about as being super unfair and shady...but maybe this is whats happening to Dallas.  I doubt its a significant reason why we cant get talent.

Luka

Luka is not desirable to play with due to personality? Doubt it but maybe.  Luka is a ball hog and no one wants to play with him?  Maybe but doubt it.

-------

Im sure I am missing the big picture and someone will point it out to me as being the obvious reason we cant get players signed.
Glad we got that cleared up! On to the next topic!
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Paul Gasol
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dameris and Followill on the Presser - by cow - 07-15-2021, 06:50 PM
RE: Dameris and Followill on the Presser - by cow - 07-16-2021, 04:18 PM
RE: Dameris and Followill on the Presser - by cow - 07-16-2021, 04:36 PM
RE: Dameris and Followill on the Presser - by ItsGoTime - 07-17-2021, 12:25 PM
RE: Dameris and Followill on the Presser - by Mak - 07-17-2021, 08:53 PM
RE: Dameris and Followill on the Presser - by cow - 07-19-2021, 02:35 PM
RE: Dameris and Followill on the Presser - by cow - 07-19-2021, 02:49 PM
RE: Dameris and Followill on the Presser - by cow - 07-19-2021, 03:06 PM