Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broader questions!
(06-09-2021, 02:10 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Feels like we have exhausted all the roster/trade options already, so let me ask some questions from a different angle.

Part 1:

1.) Will Luka Doncic apply pressure on the Mavs to get him help (like a legit 2nd star) before signing the super-max extension?

Answer: I don´t think Luka would do it, cause he´s born and raised on the European sports mantra, where the players are not involved in the office decision-making process. Not so sure about Duffy. He could try to tell Luka that American sports work differently, and he needs to use his considerable power. Therefore....

2.) Would Doncic/Duffy go as far as handing the MBT a list with players and tell them to make one happen? Did it impact Curry for Duffy client Richardson on a smaller scale?

Answer: Not yet, but if this continues for two more seasons, I can absolutely see this happening. Don´t think it impacted the Richardson deal. 

3.) Do you think players/agents generally should get involved in recruitment/roster building decisions?

Answer: Absolutely not. FO people know their job better than players, but....

4.) Do you think Duffy/Doncic could be more successful than Donnie/Cuban over the last decade?

Answer: ...it´s humanly impossible to do worse than Cuban/Donnie, so I`d rather have Luka/Duffy play GM than Cuban/Nelson.

5.) What would Cuban do, if Doncic/Duffy demanded that Carlisle or/and Nelson are fired?

Answer: I have no doubt most owners would immediately fire the coach/GM, especially if the results are as lacklustre over the last decade, but that loyalty of Cuban makes me think, he´d actually consider trading a prime Michael Jordan/LeBron James talent and feel proud that he took a stand like he is Pat Riley. Only that his 11 rings come from cornflakes packages.

Part 2:

1.) What do you think are the main reasons the Mavs cannot recruit any top free agents (destination, owner, general reputation around league, strategy/methods, coaching)?

Answer: Disrespectful behaviour toward players in a players league (Westbrook not a superstar, Rondo benching, Noel public embarrassment) and poor strategy/methods competency (Singh/James/Redick gimmick trades/drafts, lack of pitch preparation, arrogance). Just not a desirable situation to be for a  top player, AND you might fight an uphill battle in the play-offs, because there is a ref bias against the Mavs.

2.) Who do you think is mainly responsible for the Mavs lack of free agent recruitment success (Star Player, Cuban, Carlisle, Donnie)?

Answer: I think Carlisle shares some responsibility, because his coaching style is 100% not every players cup of tea, but largely it´s down to Cuban. I honestly can´t say how much blame Nelson should get, really depends how much say he ultimately has. Let´s just say I doubt, Donnie could sell me a brand new Ferrari for 15k.

3.) Which positional change would benefit the Mavs future the most (Cuban, Carlisle, Donnie)?

Answer: Cuban. It starts and ends with the owner, which means we are screwed.

4.) What do you think is the perception of Donnie Nelson, Mark Cuban and Rick Carlisle among their respective peers? Fish or Shark?

Answer: I think Donnie is well-respected as an elder statesman, but considered a huge fish by his younger/newer peers. That directly ties into Cuban, who used to think of himself as the smartest kid in the room in 2003. In a sad twist he has now become the old out-dated owner, he used to laugh at in 2003. Also a fish. Carlisle still considered a shark, though probably on his 10th row of teeth.

5.) Do you think the ultimate hunger to win is still there for Mark Cuban, Donnie Nelson and Rick Carlisle?

Answer: No. Otherwise we´d have seen changes already. Cuban would be unhappy about the results of the past decade. Carlisle would have asked to leave, because he´d be sick and tired of this roster shitshow every summer. They are very happy in the bubble they have created. Just ask yourself this: Would Steve Ballmer accept these results for even three years without major changes? No, cause he still got the hunger for the championship.

6.) Do you think the MBT will actually apply a strategy change this off-season?

Answer: Obviously not. The exit interviews already hinting at more bad veteran trades and another 12 months rollover of the sh*t on the wall-approach.

So let me answer.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Broader questions! - by Mavs2021 - 06-09-2021, 02:10 PM
RE: Broader questions! - by F Gump - 06-09-2021, 03:06 PM
RE: Broader questions! - by fifteenth - 06-09-2021, 03:44 PM
RE: Broader questions! - by KillerLeft - 06-09-2021, 10:58 PM
RE: Broader questions! - by Jommybone - 06-09-2021, 03:22 PM
RE: Broader questions! - by Dahlsim - 06-10-2021, 01:35 AM
RE: Broader questions! - by DallasBasketball - 06-09-2021, 06:56 PM
RE: Broader questions! - by Mavs2021 - 06-09-2021, 10:56 PM
RE: Broader questions! - by ThisIStheYear - 06-10-2021, 12:28 AM