Poll: Grade the F.O.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
6.52%
3 6.52%
B
6.52%
3 6.52%
C
26.09%
12 26.09%
D
28.26%
13 28.26%
F
32.61%
15 32.61%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rate Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban's job performance over the last 2 years
(06-05-2021, 01:25 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's easy to say the Mavs haven't done anything since the 2018 draft, but here are our respective win totals.

18-19: 33-49 Out of the playoffs. (Traded for WCS, KP, THJ, Lee, and Burke halfway through) 
19-20: 43-32 7th in the West (added Curry, Wright, Boban)
20-21: 42-30 5th in the West. (Lost Curry, Wright, Jackson Added Jrich)

So the Mavs in 3 years have improved from no playoffs to a 5th seed in the West. And we all know how turbulent the last 2 seasons have been because of a global pandemic.

Needless to say the Mavs are succeeding. Hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to point out the flaws in every move saying they could've done more, but on paper the Mavs are making the leap.

Sure KP hasn't worked out perfectly and JRich has fallen into the doghouse like Wright. BUT here we are, taking a very good LAC team to 7 games and have looked competitive with them in 5 out of 6 with them. That's obvious improvement compared to last year. 

I give Donnie a B. The Mavs have improved in the last 3 years. He locked up DFS and Maxi to super value contracts. He traded for KP and Timmy for basically 3 players that didn't matter and 2 FRP picks. A trade at the time that blew all of our minds (still does for me, THJ is a monster!). I loved the Boban signing 2 years 7 mil. I loved the WCS trade for a 50th pick.  

Donnie has also done some not so good moves. The Delon Wright trade with MEM was puzzling. The Delon Wright trade again to get him off the team was even more puzzling given he was traded for value not just 3 months later. Not getting true value for Harry B is another head scratcher. The JRich trade for Curry is one we all want back. And of course 2 summers of mediocre FA signings. 

Some good. Some bad. But the teams improved. So he deserves a B.

There is difference between the Mavs haven't done anything in the last 2 years (looking through results of a team) and the Mavs haven't done anything in the last 2 years looking from what FO was doing in the last 2 years.

Results are improving but the roster or. players who have impact on the court are all the same in the last 2 years. We even lost one of player with impact on the court (Curry) in the last offseason.

So there is question is more responsible for that? FO or. players & coaching staff? 

Yes, FO office brought these players here, but in the last 2 years they stopped doing these. In my opinion FO is happy with results, but for the improvment of results in the last 2 seasons coaching staff and players are deserving most of credit. Individual improvments of players, fit, chemistry... Those are things where more credit goes to the players and coaching staff and not FO..

From comparison, Hawks would never been 5 in the east without their FO work in the last offseasons. And i still think that they're 5 place in east is max. On the other side our team have much higher ceiling, much higher upside but after that we need to see FO at work. We are still spending almost 35 milions of cap space for nothing (Reddick (13), J-Rich (10.8), Melli (4), WCS (4), Burke (3)), we are still spending draft assest's for nothing and from there we need to look at the results of FO in the last 2 years.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rate Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban's job performance over the last 2 years - by MAVS-SLO - 06-06-2021, 03:30 AM