Poll: Grade the F.O.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
6.52%
3 6.52%
B
6.52%
3 6.52%
C
26.09%
12 26.09%
D
28.26%
13 28.26%
F
32.61%
15 32.61%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rate Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban's job performance over the last 2 years
First I find it really strange to pass judgements before season is over. As for individual moves we have been all over that. I said it many times before that imho the summer of 2019 with max cap space was a disaster. That summer was really a blown opportunity. They could either sell cap space for assets or bring real reinforcements but failed completely executing any of those options. I still vividly remember all the fights I had with "no move is better than bad move" guys on this board.

Since then, it is much more difficult to pass a judgement. I think Mavs strategy was to wait for good trade opportunity if it appears. But simple fact is that our treasure chest is mostly empty and for every opportunity there was a couple of teams willing to go all in, outbidding us in the process. Besides, Mavs were not really in a position to spend all remaining assets on someone like RoCo or Gordon. The team is not there yet. Other than that I think the moves they did make after the summer of 2019 were in the right direction. Wright wasn't good on our team and it made no sense to keep him. Naturally it cost a couple of second rounders to get rid of him, no one would trade for him for free or even pay assets unless worse contracts would be going our way. Trying to improve defense by trading for JRich was a correct line of thinking imho. We can't really know how much of an impact this strange season and Covid had on his performance. A move of Johnson and Iwundu for Redick seemed like a desperation move to do something but it is irrelevant, as probably none of those would play since every non shooter is basically out of rotation at this point. It might be better to spend full MLE on a rotation guy instead of Burke/WCS, but we don't know who wanted to come. The only thing I really hold against them is the draft - if you go rookie way they should get more development minutes for them. 

We also have to be realistic about our assets. DFS and Kleber are nice role players, but rebuilding teams have no use for them other than perhaps flipping them forward and no playoff contender will give us a legit starter for them. I guess we could get some draft assets or young players but we are trying to compete. Brunson is again a nice player but still not good enough that anyone would be building their future around him. Value of rest of team (not counting Luka and KP) is low.

So for me is an F for 2019 and B afterwards.

As Killer said, this summer rounds up a period in team building process. Unfortunately it is also the last real chance and everyone around the league knows that, which will likely lead to a lot of blackmailing. Mavs were promising they will be extremely aggresive this summer. Resigning THJ and bringing a MLE level guy is not it. Spending cap space on an elderly stateman like CP3 or Lowry losing THJ in the process is also not it. So I am really looking forward to see what they come up with. I think I was clear enough that a summer of resigning THJ and bringing a MLE level guy is an F in advance from me, unless Mavs make it to the finals this postseason.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rate Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban's job performance over the last 2 years - by omahen - 06-05-2021, 07:26 PM