Poll: Grade the F.O.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
6.52%
3 6.52%
B
6.52%
3 6.52%
C
26.09%
12 26.09%
D
28.26%
13 28.26%
F
32.61%
15 32.61%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rate Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban's job performance over the last 2 years
(06-05-2021, 06:03 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So in order to evaluate the last 2 years, you need this year?

No, the successes and failures of each season can be measured. I just view these transactional, roster issues as part of a bigger picture, and I see these seasons as stepping stones along a path, not as individual opportunities to win a title. In other words, I think I understand what they've been trying to accomplish. 

Maybe I'm wrong, and they're complete idiots - that's possible. But, I see the time period between determining that Luka is a transcendent cornerstone (about half way through his rookie season, by my reckoning) and the time he gets his rookie max extension (that we've all know he would be eligible to receive since roughly that same time) as one chapter of this project. Given that their cap was quite healthy when they landed the dude, I think they saw great opportunity, and I can see why. If they fail to capitalize on that opportunity, I'll be disappointed. I'll say so. But, even though it's hard to imagine things working out at the Giannis level some used to picture, I still want to wait until the end of that chapter to judge it. 

You have often said that "there will be another most important off-season after that...and another." That's true, but to me this off-season is the end of one stage of Luka's career (the stage where he's cheap and huge swings are relatively simple) and the beginning of another chapter. I'll probably judge THOSE future off-seasons much more individually, each on their own merit. But, for these few, I was actually in favor of passing up decent to good options in order to leave room for hypothetical GREAT ones.

(06-05-2021, 06:10 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Deadline is getting moved every single year. 2018 when they missed out it was all about 2019. When they missed out it was all about 2020 and the Giannis pipe dream. When they missed out it moved to 2021.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it has always been this, coming summer. This is when Luka will extend. This is when Giannis and others were potentially to be free agents. Giannis extended last off-season, but nobody ever thought he'd be a free agent in 2020, because he's technically still playing out the last year of his last contract.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rate Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban's job performance over the last 2 years - by KillerLeft - 06-05-2021, 06:25 PM