Poll: Grade the F.O.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
6.52%
3 6.52%
B
6.52%
3 6.52%
C
26.09%
12 26.09%
D
28.26%
13 28.26%
F
32.61%
15 32.61%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rate Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban's job performance over the last 2 years
It's easy to say the Mavs haven't done anything since the 2018 draft, but here are our respective win totals.

18-19: 33-49 Out of the playoffs. (Traded for WCS, KP, THJ, Lee, and Burke halfway through) 
19-20: 43-32 7th in the West (added Curry, Wright, Boban)
20-21: 42-30 5th in the West. (Lost Curry, Wright, Jackson Added Jrich)

So the Mavs in 3 years have improved from no playoffs to a 5th seed in the West. And we all know how turbulent the last 2 seasons have been because of a global pandemic.

Needless to say the Mavs are succeeding. Hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to point out the flaws in every move saying they could've done more, but on paper the Mavs are making the leap.

Sure KP hasn't worked out perfectly and JRich has fallen into the doghouse like Wright. BUT here we are, taking a very good LAC team to 7 games and have looked competitive with them in 5 out of 6 with them. That's obvious improvement compared to last year. 

I give Donnie a B. The Mavs have improved in the last 3 years. He locked up DFS and Maxi to super value contracts. He traded for KP and Timmy for basically 3 players that didn't matter and 2 FRP picks. A trade at the time that blew all of our minds (still does for me, THJ is a monster!). I loved the Boban signing 2 years 7 mil. I loved the WCS trade for a 50th pick.  

Donnie has also done some not so good moves. The Delon Wright trade with MEM was puzzling. The Delon Wright trade again to get him off the team was even more puzzling given he was traded for value not just 3 months later. Not getting true value for Harry B is another head scratcher. The JRich trade for Curry is one we all want back. And of course 2 summers of mediocre FA signings. 

Some good. Some bad. But the teams improved. So he deserves a B.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rate Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban's job performance over the last 2 years - by SleepingHero - 06-05-2021, 01:25 PM