Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: JJ Redick + Nicolo Melli to DAL | JJ + Iwundu + 2021 2nd + cash to NOP
(03-28-2021, 12:23 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Man, I don't want to be a downer, but this has been the mindset of posters on this board for many offseasons. It's always, I don't care what they did now, cause there is better opportunity later. I hope for better, and I think the ones pushing this point are just tired of hearing it. It's not about "do a deal just to make a deal", it's about getting a better evaluation of the talent you have on this team, and trade accordingly. 

Games like last night and the OKC one show us the valuation of the guys we have, heck, it's pretty clear the league has a pretty clear evaluation on our guys. We just don't and aren't willing to part with them on that valuation. 

Powell is valuated as a #5 starter and paid like one (at the time of that contract)? Sorry guys, that isn't gonna cut it.
DFS is the one we got right. 

Not even sure Maxi is the right price at this point as much as I love him, however, once you get below MLE the difference is not all that important...and yet it is. 

One or two million dollars could mean the difference between offering max or not being in the conversation (given the limitation we put on ourselves by not following the Mia and other, smarter front offices way to capspace for players). 

Now you add 1 or 2 million to a few contracts? 

WCS got a raise
Bobi is getting more than vet min (isn't' he?)
Powell is overpaid from the beginning (and unnecessarily extended early, although, there is a case with the blinders this FO puts on for Powell that he gets the same contract while injured a year later...)
Burke got more than vet min after being out of the league pre-bubble. 

People have talked about the gamble of being a GM in this league and you have to sometimes go with your gut. I might suggest that in a pure gambling situation, we're losing money, pretty fast. Sure, Luka was a gamble that paid of huge. KP was not a gamble IMO as many people have said that is a no-brainer trade, anyone who says differently has too much of an axe to grind.

Might I suggest (and I hope this suggestion isn't taken the wrong way), the ones complaining about the second rounder and rehashing old debates being "boring" to others is because they might actually be right and you don't want to admit that? 

I mean, isn't the end game of such a debate to evaluate the guys making the decisions at the top? Isn't there value in that debate? I mean, I have started going to the "wait and see" approach to every transaction, because there is no way in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks after all I've seen with this team's FO that I'm gonna just go with their evaluation of players in acquisitions they've made. I actually trust guys on this board that have watched more than just Mavs games on evaluations of players around the league in all honesty.
For the past few years my mantra has been not to make a big mistake and stay flexible.  So whether it was failed free agency or unconventional draft picks, it has been my mantra.  I thought we had to hit on at least one really good rotation pick with the second round draft pick two years ago, this years draft pick, or the pick between the Knicks pick.  Hopefully more than one, but at least one.  We will see if they can do this.  Young talent helps not only to build with but also as assets.   With FA, I thought it was important to collect solid pieces and not get stuck with an albatross contract.   Unfortunately, now two years later they really need to make 2-3 real good moves to get this team from good to great.   

It is funny though.  With all the frustration we have had over the past several seasons, this team was right on Haliburtan.   Who knows how close they got.   It would have hurt to give up picks, maybe Brunson, maybe more, but if they got Haliburtan, this team is set.  They just need to fill in the reserves.   Having Luka makes it easier to complete the build.  It is still tough though.  And the more good moves you make, the easier it is to give yourself the ability to go from good to great.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by HAguiar95 - 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Mavs2021 - 03-25-2021, 02:01 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:01 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:02 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Chicagojk - 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by mtrot - 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick + Nicolo Melli to DAL | JJ + Iwundu + 2021 2nd + cash to NOP - by Chicagojk - 03-28-2021, 04:13 PM