Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: JJ Redick + Nicolo Melli to DAL | JJ + Iwundu + 2021 2nd + cash to NOP
(03-27-2021, 03:53 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: That thought went through my mind, too, but I don't think "panic" is a label I would stick on it. 

More of a case where they were faced with a fast-approaching deadline, they had to make a decision based on incomplete information, and they made what they believed was the best decision they could on the information they had. 

Donnie was looking to do something that would help (or at least might help) the team THIS season. Based on the information presented to him, neither Johnson nor Iwundu was expected to be part of the rotation in the playoffs. So he used the second round pick to make a move that would at least have a chance of providing an additional tool in the playoffs. 

Given the circumstances, I'm still okay with the move, although I agree that the injury takes the shine off, at least to a degree.

It sounds to me like their choices were at 2 points:

1 The 1st came down to Redick deal or no deal, at deadline time. If that's a panic move or a last-minute decision under the gun, it's still the choice they had to make.

2 The 2nd came down to Redick deal or no deal, at physicals time. When Redick arrived and was in worse shape than they expected, they could have kicked the deal. ALL TRADES are subject to the physicals, and can be voided per the physicals. Or amended (to some degree) by agreement. That was a deliberate choice, to go ahead and roll the dice, calculating that Redick might help and neither Johnson or Iwundu can.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by HAguiar95 - 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Mavs2021 - 03-25-2021, 02:01 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:01 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:02 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Chicagojk - 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by mtrot - 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick + Nicolo Melli to DAL | JJ + Iwundu + 2021 2nd + cash to NOP - by F Gump - 03-27-2021, 04:42 PM