Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Delon Wright to SAC | Cory Joseph + two 2nds to DET
(03-25-2021, 12:11 PM)fifteenth Wrote: ^this is the part I disagree with

You guys want make Delon into some kind respresentive story of how bad the Mavs are at team building. The cupboard isn't bare. And if I used Luka, Brunson, JRich, THJ, DFS, Maxi, KP if he has another star level playoff run, DP if he returns to form and makes himself an asset again, and used them to say something like "that tells you all you need to know about why the Mavs have the best roster in the league", you'd rightfully push back. 

I'm not saying the Mavs are the best at asset management. I will say that they are buiding a good team, and that you can't do that by being the worst at asset management. And I will say that these discussions would be more helpful if you guys didn't say things like "this tells you all you need to know", because obviously reality isn't that simple. 

If the Mavs sucked, and all their moves were bad, then you could pick any one of their moves, use it as representative of their systemic suckiness, and get no pushback. But that's not the reality we have here.

sorry, pal, this is one of those instances where I don't understand what you're arguing

I don’t see a contradiction in saying that they have been bad at managing picks but have also developed some nice rotational talent. Asset management is a combination of managing picks and developing talent. 

The problem with giving up picks readily is that a) You shortchange yourself on an easy avenue to get cheap talent. Jalen for eg was a 2nd round pick and while there are no guarantees in the draft, you still have to look at it more seriously than the Mavs have done. b) Teams do value that as a trade chip and not having enough of those do hurt.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Delon Wright to SAC | Cory Joseph + two 2nds to DET - by hakeemfaan - 03-25-2021, 12:35 PM