Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Delon Wright to SAC | Cory Joseph + two 2nds to DET
(03-25-2021, 12:11 PM)fifteenth Wrote: ^this is the part I disagree with

You guys want make Delon into some kind respresentive story of how bad the Mavs are at team building. The cupboard isn't bare. And if I used Luka, Brunson, JRich, THJ, DFS, Maxi, KP if he has another star level playoff run, DP if he returns to form and makes himself an asset again, and used them to say something like "that tells you all you need to know about why the Mavs have the best roster in the league", you'd rightfully push back. 

I'm not saying the Mavs are the best at asset management. I will say that they are buiding a good team, and that you can't do that by being the worst at asset management. And I will say that these discussions would be more helpful if you guys didn't say things like "this tells you all you need to know", because obviously reality isn't that simple. 

If the Mavs sucked, and all their moves were bad, then you could pick any one of their moves, use it as representative of their systemic suckiness, and get no pushback. But that's not the reality we have here.

We are one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to drafting (https://towardsdatascience.com/measuring...f67cfb7718) and free agent acquisition.  It's why a massive chunk of our roster shouldn't be in the league are fringe at best:  Boban, WCS, Burke, Iwundu, Powell, Johnson.  

Delon is a great example of why we are bad at team building.  We couldn't attract the free agents we desired (Kemba wouldn't give us a conversation, PatBev stayed home and Danny Green strung us along).  We panicked, gave up picks and overpaid Delon.  He and coach couldn't get along (another issue) so we traded him for nothing.  Detroit flips him half a season later for two second round picks.  Just because we suck at drafting doesn't mean picks aren't valuable.  

You can write Delon off as minor issue, but all these minor issues add up in the long run and hinder you from improving your team.  We also aren't going to Suck because Luka is that good and he'll cover up a lot of decencies, that is until he gets sick of not being on a contender and asks out.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Delon Wright to SAC | Cory Joseph + two 2nds to DET - by cow - 03-25-2021, 12:32 PM