Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Boban watch. was 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used
(02-17-2021, 08:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'm not sure WCS's spot on next year's roster is a sure thing either.  He wouldn't be here this year if Gasol had agreed to take out money.  The way the contract is structure, we have control of but no obligation to Willie.

Quote:
Dallas Mavericks
[Image: dal.png?w=85&h=85&transparent=true]

• Tyler Bey (restricted) 

• Willie Cauley-Stein (team) 

• Tim Hardaway Jr 

• Nate Hinton (restricted) 

• James Johnson  

• Boban Marjanovic  

• Josh Richardson (player) 

• Jalen Brunson 

• Trey Burke (player) 

• Luka Doncic (restricted) 

• Dorian Finney-Smith

Hmm, that's an interesting point, thanks Dan.  I've got a few extended thoughts on this subject that Willie Cauley-Stein brings to the surface for me.  I had thought RC might have found his man in WCS but looks like maybe not. 
Quote:I'm not sure WCS's spot on next year's roster is a sure thing either.  He wouldn't be here this year if Gasol had agreed to take out money. 

If the older versions of this forum were all still up people could see that I've been most interested in the way Rick Carlisle and the NBA in general handle the 5 position during the 3 point and "small ball" revolution.  I say small ball because the NBA players in general remain anything but small.  
Its really been the front line and especially center position that has been changed most drastically in terms of its usage and impact on teams.  

I have commented heavily on what Rick Carlisle, an otherwise brilliant coach, does at the 5 position and front line every since Tyson Chandler left post Mavs 2011 championship.  I think's its been the primary weak spot in the Mav's system as it can differentiate your team in a league where everyone is playing the same pace and space 3 point game.   

If everyone's playing the same and you know your shooters are not as good as the opponents outside the arc, then why would try and beat them at the same game?  Huh Its a systemic Mavs problem imo.  If they are hot that day shooting they can win, if they cold they can't even hold on to a big lead with time running out.  Angry 

I said all that because if Carlisle has a center than can play his ideal role for a center then his offense is fantastic and his defense is passable.  The Mavs in his system can be great.  When the center can provide just the right mix of offensive threat, rebounding and be acceptable to RC on defense, then his Mavs can shine. 

Problem is, very few centers can do that to RC satisfaction. 
Tyson Chandler with a strong center trio of Brendan Haywood and Ian Mahinmi was the perfect storm for the Dirk/Kidd led Mavs in a RC system. 

Recent seasons we saw that a healthy Dwight Powell was really hitting that ideal mix of scorer and versatile defender that is ideal for RC.  Then came the injury.  Sad  So now one might think WCS would fit the profile or that KP at 5 might be great or that Maxi Kleber is ideal.  
So far, we're not seeing that front line production to support Luka and his wings and it looks like they are not sure which center can fill the role well enough to counter the competition.  

Just look at the West competition by comparision and what they do at the center positions.  2 teams have won championships using centers that struggled to even get minutes in Rick Carlisle's Dallas system

Looking the Western Conference the rosters and the coaching staffs seem to be getting the better of Carlisle Mavs consistently unless his 5 man is hitting jackpot from 3-point land and playing good in general. IMO RC is not creative enough to use a talent like Boban who is limited but elite in specific areas.  Boban could without question in my mind have added a few W's to this Mavs roster just by helping to hold on to a few big leads but Carlisle just doesn't think that way. 

WCS is inconsistent and hasn't become the next Dwight Powell yet let alone Tyson Chandler. The Mavs have to get a center playing to fit Carlisle's ideal and I think Luka is great enough to use any type of talented 5 you give him.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Boban watch. was 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used - by Dahlsim - 02-18-2021, 11:41 AM