Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Carlisle run out of ideas/does he need a mental/physical break?
(01-31-2021, 03:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agree that Nelson has been largely disappointing, when his tenure is viewed from a bird's eye view. Agree the 5 spot has been a recurring issue. 

But, I feel like I see adjustment from Nelson and the Mavs. I feel like what they've been attempting has been adjusted this time around, maybe not in every way that matters, but in enough ways to give me some hope. 

I HOPE that they're not 100% results oriented with their self-analysis, and that they don't overreact in one direction or another. I think the PROCESS they've employed over the past few years is a good one, and sometimes even surprisingly good, even if some of the individual moves weren't successful. I think the best chance they have is to continue to make conservative, calculated decisions and not reach for too much too quickly. They made a big swing on the KP thing, and that might've been a mistake, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same at the time. 

I hate watching this team right now, and I'm as depressed about it as anyone, but I refuse to knee-jerk about all the things that had me feeling excited and hopeful just months ago. Those things were true at that time, not some elaborate mirage.

The problem though is that other than the two Finals years we always look like we can get punked, if I might use that word, inside. There is no real force or strength. Whatever process they are following still seems to leave us with the same issue. Everyone could see Dp is fundamentally a weak strength guy despite a chiseled frame. Yet they extended him. Boban was a relic and they got him for a 3 year deal. 

The draft is a crapshoot. You want to pass up on Precious Achiuwa or Vernon Carey that is fine. At least acknowledge you have an issue. I am not even saying that it requires stars. Lakers won with Dwight and Javale. But they knew that when things got tough those two would provide some force down low. The Mavs through most of Donnie’s tenure seems to always be the team that is lacking the guy who other teams cringe to play against. 

I am not overreacting on this season. Even if things were great and we were a high seed there is an element of physicality missing with this team and that always seems to get magnified in the playoffs.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Has Carlisle run out of ideas/does he need a mental/physical break? - by hakeemfaan - 01-31-2021, 03:38 PM