Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Jae Crowder to PHX | 3yrs, $30M | DAL offered more $$$
(12-01-2020, 11:21 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Upon further review (with the benefit of additional information), I was probably right about this being a potential expansion of the Johnson deal where Dallas gets Crowder and Johnson goes back to Miami.  It also appears this was a large one year offer, not multi-year.

It does appear Dallas has a type (large wing/mobile big) and for some they are willing to go multi-year (Gallo and RoCo) and some they are not (Crowder).  Johnson is a better fallback than Ariza given our needs and is also better than giving a multi-year to the wrong guy.  If you go back to the Rankings done by The Athletic, Gallo and RoCo were in tier 4a.  Crowder is in Tier 5 along with Curry, Maxi and THJ.

I think you're right about the Johnson to Miami, Crowder to Dallas angle here. I'm not sure I buy that he'd even consider a one-year offer from Dallas, though. Seems like if there was any chance of him taking a one-year offer, Miami's would have been preferable. I'm guessing Dallas was offering a multi-year deal, just like they must have been for Gallo. 

Speaking of Gallo, I think their link to HIM supports your theory here, too. The teams involved in the deal that actually happened (OKC, DET) probably go a long way towards helping us understand why the Mavs were linked to some of the names we kept hearing: Gallo and Wood seem like they would definitely have been early attempts at targets in that same deal. I think you're right about the Johnson/Miami angle, so it seems like Johsnon was at least Dallas' 4th choice, maybe even lower. 

I know he's probably the worst player of that group, but idk...I'm just really excited about how this turned out. I like what they did a lot.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FA: Jae Crowder to PHX | 3yrs, $30M | DAL offered more $$$ - by KillerLeft - 12-02-2020, 08:46 AM