Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players boycott games | Playoffs resume Saturday
(10-07-2020, 12:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: As someone who lived in both the US and Germany that is something I will never understand. Compared to other western societies the US states have a unique definition of left/right. Most things that are called "marxist" in the US are promoted by the conservative party in Germany.
Same for the term "freedom".  Not really sure what makes the average person in the US more free than the average person in France, Germany or Belgium but GOP supporters love to go on endless rants about it.

These are great observations and questions. I'm no expert, not by a long shot, but I'm trying to read and listen more to folks that seem to have a handle on U.S. History, especially the parts that are typically left out. In the U.S. we have told our history in a way so as to minimize our atrocities and highlight our greatness. Anything that disagrees with that story is met with oposition. I bring this up because I think it greatly shapes what is considered conservative and liberal in the U.S. 

I started following Jesus as a teenager and after a few years I was bothered by the poltical/religious marriage present in much of U.S. chrisitanity. I clung to my identity as a Jesus follower, laid down any identity I had inheritied through culture as a "conservative christian", and then when I looked at the atrocities of the United States' past, I didn't feel accused, or threatened, or like my way of life was in danger. 

I'm glad you brought up Germany (South Africa would work as well). Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't visited), but I believe they tell the truth about the history of the Holocaust, talk about it and create museums and monuments to honor the victims. They tell the truth in order to properly process their past and attempt to ensure they don't go down those paths again. We all know operating this way is emotionally healthy for individuals. Turns out it's emotionally important for nations as well. The U.S. has never fully dealt with it's atrocities and has trouble admittting that one of them continues to this day. We don't tell the truth about our history. We don't talk about stuff that needs to be talked about. We tell a story that excuses our holocausts in light of our greatness, and the preservation of that story, I think, is behind the question you asked. 

If you invest any time with this, besides reading my amaturish thoughts, find and listen to (or read) Brian Stevenson, Esau McCaulley, and Tiim Keller. I'm sure there are many others that I haven't read and listened to.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Harris poll on NBA viewership decline - by mtrot - 09-04-2020, 01:39 PM
RE: Players boycott games | Playoffs resume Saturday - by fifteenth - 10-07-2020, 01:18 PM