Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players boycott games | Playoffs resume Saturday
This is starting to get into rest of the world stuff. I think we’re ok with it if this is the only one for now with that type discussion, just would appreciate any spin off conversations be started in rest of the world or troll cave so we can keep this forum more cleanly in basketball only talk. That said:

I think the phrase “defund the police” is a bit too off putting for many to even start a conversation about the ideals surrounding the movement. As I understand it, Kamm is right, it is about moving the funds AND workload to a different government entity so the police aren’t bogged down with lesser law policing.

I don’t have a huge problem with that line of thought. My question is how many of those situations that would get violent (as I’m sure even the most staunch supporter of this type of movement would agree that there would be at least 1) is it ok to either accept the loss of the life of such a social worker trying to help and do their job or get hirt trying to do the same?

As I’ve thought about it and talked it over with my circle, I think a great way to start is with the training department for all police. One of my more liberal friends has said that in some cases all that is required to get a badge is 3 mo training. That is pretty unacceptable IMO. There HAS to be more. 

This same friend that lives in the Oak Cliff area has looked into the DPD budget and has seen surplus after surplus going to more military style equipment and machines (which the cost of those types of things is another tangent I’d love to discuss as far as why is our Gov not negotiating better deals for all these military type items). That is also unacceptable.

My proposal is to increase training and minimum education requirements to those that want to wear a badge. In turn, raise their pay so you can attract the type of person that would do that honest type of work, but won’t go to school to come out to risk their life for $30k/yr or whatever the starting salary is. 

The type of people that that job attracts right now is the power hungry person that wants an easy way to feed that hunger (not unlike criminals themselves). I’m not in any way saying that all cops are that way, just that’s what the job attracts to it right now. I think this goes a long way in getting a police force that is better equipped to handle and judge moments better. 

tldr: more training, higher educational requirements, higher pay, better police force!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Harris poll on NBA viewership decline - by mtrot - 09-04-2020, 01:39 PM
RE: Players boycott games | Playoffs resume Saturday - by ItsGoTime - 10-07-2020, 06:40 AM