Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Boban watch. was 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used
(09-18-2020, 02:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 09:32 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: In other words there are specific situations where it can be very advantageous having a guy on the floor that is very, very difficult for the defense to stop 1 on 1 even if its for 2 points and free throws.

I don´t think anyone disagrees with this take. But isn´t that exactly what RC is doing?... 

No its not exactly what RC is doing.   There are simply times where 2 points, a strong rebound, sprinkled in with a free throw here and there can win you a game or help you hold a lead during a run. 
Boban being one of the best players on the roster to help Luka and company get that 2, simply isn't on the floor to help. The simple box score proves that.  

Quote:RCs offense was the best in the entire history of the league. He seems to know what he is doing. Still not perfect because the Mavs struggled in the clutch but that is more about sloppy execution. Don´t see a reason to change the entire scheme for Boban.
Kenny Smith during this recent playoffs on the Mavs post game analysis shot down the 'best offense' stat purely cleanly.  You can't be the best offense in the league, let alone in history, if you can's score when you need to score to get wins. 

You just said they can't score in clutch, but it's not only in the clutch. When your team gets blown out, when you consistently blow leads in historically short time frames, you cannot be the best offense in history. 

Attributing it purely to sloppy execution every time the offense fails is just another way to say it's all on the players and completely excuse the coaching strategies. But then if the players are scoring at the 'best in history' pace, that's a credit to the coaching strategy. 

Quote:Do you think a post heavy offense with Boban as the center piece ...

No. I never called for that.  You play off the post sometimes, you roll the big man to rim sometimes, sometimes you position him to draw the defense and force them to stay home while Luka drives to the hole, scores or finds the wide open 3 point shooter.  

Its' about using the threat of a player that is very, very difficult to guard offensively to open up the floor and lanes for your offense. 

Quote:Do you want to know how many points Boban scored when he was defended by Zubac?

That's a decent point you're making.  I'm not sure really how well Zubac could guard Boban if the Mavericks were really using him well on offense. He may be pretty good, but your sample size is tiny when you say 1 of 5 obviously and we would need to even look at those scoring cases. 

I'm with you here, I like Zubac as a player and we both said, he really hurt the Mavs.  I doubt very seriously Zubac could guard Boban any better than he could guard Shaq if he were repeatedly left to guard him one on one, but what the boxscore does tell me is that he really didn't have to try.  Boban had a big game, really helped the Mavs win then came back to play 9 minutes. 

9 Minutes.  Seriously. Lebron could get smoked by someone if you based it on a particular 9 minutes and that's not saying Boban was even against Zubac for 9 minutes.  Zubac got a free pass and Harrell who you acknowledge Boban was killing, also got a free pass because based on minute disparity he didn't have defend Boban much even when he was destroying Dallas. 

Quote:In certain situations it just makes sense to bench the biggest defensive liability
The defensive liability issue is exaggerated.  Boban's defense annoys me at the rim because he's not aggressive as he should be, especially in his short minutes but overall, his rebounding and his big body in my view generally hold their own on defense or at times help the Mavs who were absolutely horrible without KP inside.   

You downplay the boxscore but the productivity and the consistently high +/1 demonstrate that Boban was usually giving you more than he was costing you on the floor, period.  At the end of day the goal is not defense, its to score more points than the other guy whatever that takes.  

Quote:On a side note: Relax...multiple emots, bolded parts and even a different color. This is a family friendly board Tongue

Since when did emoticons become not "family friendly"?  Seriously?  Huh 
It think its more group think.  People use them to a certain amount on this board or type of board and I don't conform to the norm. 

Not sure why some people out here are annoyed by emots but I like them so I use them, glad the board has some.  I've run and contributed on some big forums by the way so it's more of a general community style and expectation I think. 

Anyway, I could flip that and say "relax, emots, a little bold text and color never hurt anyone".

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used - by Dahlsim - 09-18-2020, 05:08 PM