Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players boycott games | Playoffs resume Saturday
(08-28-2020, 10:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 10:00 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: The NBA was never a neutral place. Same for other big sport leagues and events.

Speaking in absolutes here would be foolish, but the NBA and sports in general has traditionally represented a place where fans of sports come together on a common interest and let other societal issues filter out to be addressed elsewhere, where they are more appropriately discussed and debated. 

You don't think there were racially prejudiced fans out there in the NBA's growing audience over the decades, cheering right next to the some of the people they perhaps had biases against?  You don't think that was part of what led to a less racially biased America than there was before? 

If you say there is no neutral place then that really suggests a refusal on your part to find common ground. It's my way or the highway talk. 
Instead of fans finding a common place to get to know each other then taking their disagreements to the water cooler, or to peaceful protests and designated political forums, you're saying they have to focus on disagreements everywhere, all the time?  That's absurd and dangerous.  Dodgy

Not what I said or meant at all  but carry on. Do you think the same people that watched the NBA games together will stop now that the league is supporting the BLM movement? If that´s the case your point about a less racially biased America is invalid.
Have you ever wondered why we aren´t making any progress when it comes to the currently discussed civil right issues? Because people like to ignore them. As long as they don´t impact their every day routine they don´t act. That´s one of the reasons why big protests or strikes work.
It´s not a suprise that some people want to single out the NBA for a political agenda. It is a players league dominated by strong and independent black man. Wonder why no one is calling out NASCAR or the NFL. As far as I know Colin Kaepernick still hasn´t found a team

Quote:Because people like to ignore them. As long as they don´t impact their every day routine they don´t act. That´s one of the reasons why big protests or strikes work.

Does that mean you think all the big protests we have in recent months and strikes and boycotts haven't been in people's face enough?  You think they're ignoring the rioting, looting, burning and even killing that's been accompanying it all too? 
That's not impacting their lives but missing some NBA games is going to make them start doing something I guess?  Seriously?  
BTW is anyone going to boycott over some of the lives that continue to be murdered in the riots?  Some of them are black too. Does that make a difference? 

Quote:It´s not a suprise that some people want to single out the NBA for a political agenda.

Hmm, I'm not sure who the they are that are ignoring things nor do I think it's clear who some people are in your above statement. Shy
How is it singling out the NBA when the NBA is choosing to use game time and officially taking positions that are politically charged?  I'm a basketball and NBA fan and I'm much more sympathetic than you might imagine to the strong feelings about racially charged violent incidents.  In this case though, its more than racial equality being pushed.  Other agendas are being attached and the NBA is singling itself out essentially saying we will be a political organization. 

Every player and executive and owner in the NBA has the same exact rights to protest that each of us do in every venue and method available to us all, including protests and boycotts.  
IF however a privately owned publicly accessible business officially takes sides and positions that makes it political organization, in no way neutral as an organization.   Sure, they have a right to do that too, but then shouldn't they should be classified as a political organization, with all the legal ramifications? 

Quote: It is a players league dominated by strong and independent black man.

I am one those black men btw, and I don't follow NASCAR, (other than as a video game) so not sure what you're getting at there.  Undecided
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Players boycott games | All Game 5's are postponed and will be rescheduled - by Dahlsim - 08-28-2020, 04:01 PM
Harris poll on NBA viewership decline - by mtrot - 09-04-2020, 01:39 PM