Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players boycott games | Playoffs resume Saturday
(08-27-2020, 02:02 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 01:14 PM)fifteenth Wrote: If as the investigation continues we find out that Jacob Blake deserved to be shot 7 times in the back, and that there was no other way to police that situation, then maybe folks will think differently then they did when the shooting first happened.

And I am sure everyone will be issuing apologies to cops involved, Kenosha people that sustained damage in the riots and so on. This is why rush reactions have to be avoided, they don't bring anything good. Especially rush reactions from opinion makers. 

Did you see what LeBron said?: "You have no idea how that cop left the house that day....Or maybe he just left the house saying that today is going to be the end for one of these Black people. That’s what it feels like." Do you realize how incredibly unfair is that statement? There are far more circumstances provided, that perhaps Jacob was reaching for a gun in his car and cop was just affraid. That perhaps Jacob had a knife and cops were affraid to tackle him. 

People like LeBron have to step back and be smarter in things like this.

(08-27-2020, 01:14 PM)fifteenth Wrote: a black man was shot 7 times in the back

Which was what media gave you. Just a little bit more of a research would have shown that he MIGHT have: an arrest warrant pending, history of violent crimes, resisted arrest, possibly carried knife, possibly had a weapon in a car, tazers didn't work, ignored police orders and he was reaching in a car to get something. How can you say the story is so simple as black man was shot 7 times in the back. Can't you see any possible scenario cops did what they possibly could and were just affraid. Why do you even have to bring race in this specific case? I repeat - world is not black and white. 

(08-27-2020, 01:14 PM)fifteenth Wrote: an immediate gut punch to much of the country

Quickly browsing through The Athletic forum, where there was a lot of comments, there are also a lot of people with a similar opinion to mine. I would say opinions are roughly divided half-half. All racists?

(08-27-2020, 01:14 PM)fifteenth Wrote: omahen, do you have any African American friends?

No, because there are basically no Black people in our country. We have other minorities though. I am sure there are innocent people suffering. Still this is not an excuse for the reactions.

(08-27-2020, 01:14 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Last night you seemed to be sugggesting that the players' reaction was tantamount to asking for an immediate sentencing of the officer.

Exactly, and I still claim that. Just look at the twits - they basically passed judgement and demanded justice, decided which of the possible versions of the event happened. They want justice for Jacob. Is he not given justice? Are the cops involved not investigated? Did THE SYSTEM at any point indicate that everything is ok with what went on?

(08-27-2020, 01:14 PM)fifteenth Wrote: It seems like you want everyone to withhold reaction until an investigation is completed. I don't think that's reasonable.

Not from everyone, but from influencers like NBA players. And it is totally reasonable. NBA players are PR experts. How many emotional outbursts do you see immediately after games, when they are full of emotions? Why didn't we see Luka blazing fire and throw public insults against refs and Morris after a loss? It happens, of course, but rarely. Mostly they are repeating trained PR statements. So one would think, they are able to control their emotions and what they publicly say in other circumstances too. Because they are accountable for their reactions. No one but cops is held accountable for their reactions in this last shooting incident.

What they think and say in their private conversations, is of course a totally different thing.

You're still equating the reactions of NBA players to the rioters. They're not the same. I have no idea if everyone that thinks like you is racist. No way I could know that. I'm not even calling you a racist. I'm to the point of repeating myself, which means this is pointless and you and I will most likely not find common ground, but, to repeast myself, NBA players were not calling for the officer to be sentenced. When you equate the NBA players to rioters and keep talking as if NBA players scalled for an immediate sentencing then there really is no response for what you're saying, except to say, I don't agree.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Players boycott games | All Game 5's are postponed and will be rescheduled - by fifteenth - 08-27-2020, 02:15 PM
Harris poll on NBA viewership decline - by mtrot - 09-04-2020, 01:39 PM