Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players boycott games | Playoffs resume Saturday
(08-27-2020, 01:15 AM)omahen Wrote: I wonder what kind of financial implications potential ending of the season brings. It is one thing to end the season because of a natural disaster and totally another because of the boycott.   

I guess TV networks who paid billions for TV rights might feel the same. Actions have reactions.

As most here know, the CBA is subject to renegotiation with a deadline that was moved to the fall.  Escrow of 10% was changed to 35% with the idea that players and owners could true up once season revenues were more known.  If the rest of the season is gone, the 35% won't cover owner losses.  It probably won't be close.  That is going to make it very difficult to hold the CBA together.  Owners, having already taken a bath for one season, are going to want more protections. 

Cap and Tax numbers are set based on revenues.  All of the talk about whether the cap would stay close to 19/20 levels in 20/21 and whether some smoothing technique might be employed for future seasons has to be negotiated.  If an agreement can't be reached, then the owners will either have to void the CBA or allow a massive drop in cap/tax numbers.  And how exactly are the networks going to react.  The NBA can't just say "sorry".  They have a contract to put on a product and have proven the product can be put on.  This is a willful breech of contract that could dig an even deeper hole for owners.  

If the rest of the season is cancelled, it doesn't feel to me like the atmosphere between owners and players is likely to be conciliatory.  If I'm an owner, I view the players as purposefully taking money out of my pockets.  If players (or some faction of players) feel empowered enough to take this step, is it likely someone is going to be able to bring this group together?  In the current atmosphere, it will be VERY challenging to put Humpty Dumpty (the CBA) back together again. 

I have to wonder if the Buck's players thought it might get away from them to this extent.  I'm sure they felt the need to "do something".  A one game forfeit or postponement probably seemed like an appropriate statement.  But, they no longer control this.  It appears the Lakers and Clippers do.  I wonder how Giannis will feel if his super-max doesn't happen (who is to say the super-max concept survives in a new CBA).  Many have speculated Milwaukee needs to win a championship to keep him.  That won't happen sitting at home.  The Golden Goose is at risk here from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.  Hopefully calmer heads will prevail and the George Hill's and Sterling Brown's of the world will realize that once they leave Orlando their voice is diminished.  Strategic thinking would focus on the goal and work back to the steps to get there.  Cancelling the season, if it happens, feels like focusing on the steps and hoping they somehow accomplish the goal.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Players boycott games | All Game 5's are postponed and will be rescheduled - by DanSchwartzgan - 08-27-2020, 07:30 AM
Harris poll on NBA viewership decline - by mtrot - 09-04-2020, 01:39 PM