Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players boycott games | Playoffs resume Saturday
(08-26-2020, 09:50 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: I think people need to be specific about the type of change they want to see. Specific policy agendas. I hear alot about wanting to be heard or wanting justice, loosely defined, without a long term objective. 

In the 50s and 60s, civil rights protests had a specific purpose, a stated agenda, were sustained, and non violent (even when violence was directed at the protestors). It was an enormous struggle, but did lead to progress, including the civil rights legislation supported by MLK, passed by Congress, and signed by LBJ.

I agree that changes need to happen so black families aren't fearful of letting their children go out at night without a discussion on how to avoid getting pulled over by police or worse just because of their race. And I can understand frustration that leads to flash point riot situation in a particular city or town, but generalized riots and violence in response is not an answer, nor are vague boycotts that do not specify what the change agenda looks like. 

We can't have change until we define what change is.

Different groups with different interests and a lot things that need to be fixed. Where to start? Education? Police training? Gun control? Poverty? Just to name a few.
Call me a leftist but systemic issues can only be fixed if you actually change the system. Everything else is just a band aid to stop the bleeding.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Players boycott games | All Game 5's are postponed and will be rescheduled - by dirkfansince1998 - 08-26-2020, 10:09 PM
Harris poll on NBA viewership decline - by mtrot - 09-04-2020, 01:39 PM