Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118
(08-18-2020, 06:03 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 05:27 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Then there was my boy Boban. I won't even comment about only 2 shots (and still making 50%) because he's an afterthought offensively but look at your lost possession stat.  
Think about Boban getting 8 rebounds in 12 minutesExclamation   What's wrong with this picture?
You have been making this point for a long time, and I think it is even more important now that the Mavs have only three big men available. Boban had a defensive and rebounding impact in this game, but there has got to be a way to take advantage of his offense, especially against the Clippers, who have no one who can counter. He is pretty close to unstoppable near the basket. He's going to be on the floor for a certain amount of time in any case, so why not make put that offensive machine to work? It's arguably better than having Seth and Hardaway jack up 30-footers.

Boban helps generate open shots many times just by his threat to score.  Teams that recognize his threat stay home, opening up lanes for Doncic and Mavs guards to slash and shooters to get better looks. 
Some commentators have also noticed this and mentioned it as well. 

The Mavs do run him in cuts and dives to rim some time which are very effective with Luka because if they converge to cheat and stop him, he's very aware of finding his Giant cutters as well as finding his perimeter snipers. 
Luka driving with KP or Boban rolling to rim with him while guys like Seth and THJ stand ready to snipe on the perimeter is a thing of beauty.  Heart

Mostly though, Coach Carlisle uses Bobi as a giant screen setter, like almost all NBA teams now use their centers.  He rarely runs sets to get his big men offense at the rim, and Bobi minutes are so sparse I've pretty much given up looking for that much.  It's ok when the Mavs are shooting well. 
They don't need his offense as much when shots are falling but when the offense tightens up, its ashamed they don't take advantage of the killer size advantage. 

It was predictably tragic though, for the big man to get only 12 minutes total, despite the problem they were having getting rebounds and a strong paint presence after KP went out.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118 - by Dahlsim - 08-18-2020, 08:31 PM