Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118
(08-18-2020, 01:54 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:  

Fourth Quarter

The team recovered their composure in the fourth, and the Mavs tied the game at 9:44, thanks in part to 4 rebounds, a put-back layup, and an assist of a THJ three from Boban. Dallas stayed within 5 until the last three minutes, when the Clips managed to pull away.

Analytics

Statistically speaking, the game was lost on possessions. The Clips put up a whopping 14 more shots than the Mavs, which proved to be a killer. 

Players

Luka 
Patrick Beverley absolutely cannot guard Luka — Doncic is too big, too strong, and too determined. Beverley ended the game with 5 fouls, and had to let Luka go when he sliced through the paint. Kawhi and Paul George both had 3 fouls by halftime, and had to spend the end of the second quarter on the bench. The Clippers’ only hope is to swarm him, and he is very effective at finding the open man when that happens. 

KP (19 min) —Porzingis is a guy the Clippers have no answer for. His height and skills make him a nightmare for their big men to try to cover. He can shoot over their smalls, and is too agile for their bigs. He drew plenty of fouls, and was 7 of 8 from the line. His rebounding was missed when he left the game. 

KP’s ejection was the turning point of the game. 

Rick’s Secret Weapons

Rick has been hiding a few surprises in his bag of tricks, and I imagine we will see them brought out as the series goes on. He sprung a couple of them in this match. 

The team can play defense!

MKG can shoot threes! Kidd-Gilchrist was 2-3 on three-pointers, shocking the entire arena!  His form looked much improved, and his defense was strong. I wasn’t sure whether he would even play in the series, but he looks like he can help the team. Who knew?.... 

Next. Game Two, on Wednesday. 

Rick Carlisle is stuck in an offensive mindset that appears incapable of exploiting a size advantage. 
I've said that the Mavs one big advantage being BIG.  They have a size advantage they can exploit.  Luka is the obvious advantage I take for granted because he'll be fully utilized.  The Clips counter him though with Kawhi and PG13, one of best wing combinations in NBA history as Mark Jackson correctly pointed out. 

As you said, KP is a clear mismatch the Mavs can exploit.  His ejection, his mistake but also from some bad reffing, was the clear turning point. 

Quote:Statistically speaking, the game was lost on possessions. The Clips put up a whopping 14 more shots than the Mavs, which proved to be a killer.

Then there was my boy Boban. I won't even comment about only 2 shots (and still making 50%) because he's an afterthought offensively but look at your lost possession stat.  
Think about Boban getting 8 rebounds in 12 minutesExclamation   What's wrong with this picture? 

MKG was a nice wildcard to see going to work.  Another quality wing if he shoots in that range is a real help since he can defend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118 - by Dahlsim - 08-18-2020, 05:27 PM