Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 114, Kings 110
(08-05-2020, 05:10 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 04:52 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: What do you see as the best big-picture solution for these problems?

Huh, this might be above my knowledge level. I'd say part of the fault is in the defensive scheme and principle. Switch everything strategy works between guys like THJ, DFS, Luka. They are similar height and strength so they can switch. But it is stupid to switch Burke-KP (or Maxi) when guarding Fox-Holmes. And I saw a couple of totally unnecessary switches of this kind. If Curry is playing, you also have to avoid switching. For example against Houston - Curry on Westbrook was always an automatic basket. I also think center should come higher when guarding opposing PnR. 

One thing I think we haven't seen in seeding games yet is zone defense. We did see some in friendlies.

Guys could also need more time together to really gel together on defensive end. Miscommunication might also be a consequence of not knowing each other enough. Check this thing of beauty, how GSW protected Curry. At 5:50. It took time to gel this good on defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQr54Toq5eA

The rest I think is in better defenders. We definitely need better on ball defender(s) - neither of our current guys is good at that. That's why guys like Harden and Westbrook are basically just waltzing towards a lay-up and 2 guys were needed to even marginally limit their one on one play.
Thanks, omahen. I always love your thoughtful observations. I will give more study to the video, which is very interesting. 

Thinking about your big picture points --

If their defensive schemes are bad, and they have the personnel to execute a better one, that would seem to be an issue with the head coach/defensive coordinator. 

Maybe they are saving the zone for the playoffs. Good point that they still have that to pull out of their hat. 

Agree that not gelling very well is an issue, and things like chemistry inherently take some time. In that regard, do you have any feel for whether many of these guys are likely to still be around in a season or two (so that the team would expect some benefit from letting them figure things out together for awhile)?

Agree with your comment on the on-ball defense. In certain ways, I think Houston is one of the hardest teams to guard in the league, but the issue extends beyond them. It also seems to me that our starting lineup is on the undersized/under-strength side for some matchups.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 114, Kings 110 - by mavsluvr - 08-05-2020, 06:38 PM