Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 115, Suns 117
(08-03-2020, 03:21 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am resigned to the fact that the Mavs might wind up facing the Clippers and getting their heads kicked in which could actually be a good thing. The Clips are a good measuring stick for any wannabe contender and if/when the Mavs get swept by the Clips they are likely to be more aggressive in the offseason.

The thing I would be concerned ab is the very real possibility Mavs face a team like the Nuggets or Jazz who are good but not quite contender status yet and over-perform, thus telling MBT that they only need to tinker around the edges. I am not into tinkering around the edges, tho I do like our team a lot. Mavs are at least one big move away from contention. If it takes getting embarrassed by the Clippers so be it.
I'm actually impressed that you are worried that the Mavs will over-perform! But I like the optimism!

I agree that it's possible to enjoy the rest of the season, mostly by being clear-eyed about where the team is. They don't appear anywhere close to contender status, but that's the way it virtually always is with a young team in its second year. 

They have already accomplished this season's goal, which was to make the playoffs. Agree that they are in a position, in this relatively pressure-free stub season, to get a reality check on where they stand, and to get the experience of playing game after game in an intense environment against superior competition. I would really like to see them win at least a game or two in a series, so that they can gain a sense of confidence about their strengths, in addition to dwelling on their weaknesses.

My hope is that we will see a visible improvement next season, as we did this season. Luka, KP, and some of the others are in places in their careers where leaps are likely. And maybe the roster will be upgraded in the offseason, at least at a position or two. I also agree that the Mavs FO must maintain a sense of realism about what they have and what they need, and I think any of the teams above them in the standings would be a good enough opponent to shine a light on whatever deficiencies need addressing. 

Interesting thoughts!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 115, Suns 117 - by mavsluvr - 08-03-2020, 09:15 PM