Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 149, Rockets 153
(08-01-2020, 10:49 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: My problem with just using age as an excuse is that there is no plan currently. If this season is a stepping stone then use it wisely. There is no excuse for the last 5 mins of the game to not go exclusively through KP and Luka. Absolutely none!!  Maybe the execution might need another season or two to be continuously unstoppable like a Malone/Stockton PnR, but the plan should be there right now. 

Also KP and Luka are the cornerstones. The team should already be planning what the long term defensive schemes are knowing those two’s individual strengths and weaknesses.

I am not concerned about the results. The lack of plan bothers me because teams that are lucky enough to land even one stud, let alone two, immediately start their planned schemes in motion even if the it might take a few years for the results to come.
I agree that it is frustrating to see how chaotic and disorganized they look, as previously powerful offense turns into random isolation possessions for Luka, often ending in a terrible shot, over and over in the most high-pressure parts of the game.  I also struggle to understand why they keep going to this in the clutch when it has clearly not been working for a long time. 

If there really isn't a plan, then the Mavs have to take a hard look at the coach and the GM. We know Rick and Donnie well by now, and they have some characteristic weak spots, as everyone does. But it isn't at all characteristic of either of them to operate out of their hip pockets. My guess is that Rick has some long-term vision of a free-flowing, unpredictable, unguardable offense that his crew is just not close to being able to execute at this point when the opponent clamps down. But you totally have a point. The devolution of the offense into standing around and watching Luka work against double-teams at the ends of games is practically unwatchable. 

Defensively, I think they need to step up a level in terms of personnel, either through signing new players or through significant improvement in the guys they have. They are already a juggernaut offensively (except for the clutch), but they're far from that status on the defensive end, and that has to change if they hope to compete. I would bet that Donnie has his Plans A-D ready, and awaits opportunities to pounce. But, yes, they need to have a plan in mind, and that may well involve a multi-year effort. 

Thought-provoking comments, hakeem. Good to see you back!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 149, Rockets 153 - by mavsluvr - 08-01-2020, 11:24 AM