08-05-2026, 07:30 AM
(08-05-2026, 07:15 AM)Smitty Wrote: This would leave the Lakers $858,441 below A1.
The Mavs would be $13,757,918 below the Tax Line.
The Nets would get a flyer on a 25-year-old Wing (expiring), for free.
Add SRP's wherever you'd like...
The Mavs could then waive Hardy (expiring), while also freeing up the use of the full MLE ($12,044,000). Can be opportunistic the rest of the summer and through the deadline. All while staying under the tax line.
This is why I don't see the trade as realistic. Klay doesn't cover the Lakers positions of need, mainly a SF/PF wing and perhaps another back-up center (I think Mamu will play a lot of back-up center). Being less than a mil under the 1st apron basically limits what Lakers could do in regards to Kuminga, who they are supposed trying to get. As well as the back up center.
I simply don't believe that Lakers have interest trading for Klay. It doesn't make sense. On a buyout, perhaps.

