07-27-2026, 04:43 PM
(07-27-2026, 02:55 PM)Smitty Wrote: They can take a big swing on a young guy that might have an albatross contract if he doesn't rebound from his poor play last year.
DAL: Braun + '29 FRP
DEN: Thompson
Denver owes a FRP to OKC next year. It's top-5 protected. But once it conveys (we all assume it will), that makes '29 or '30 tradeable. At least that's how I read their future draft pick situation. So, it will have to have some language, if they are to trade a first.
This move saves DEN $4M this year and gets off the long-term Braun money, that they can use to keep Watson?
Here's an old tweet from Mike: https://x.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/152438...93317?s=20
They would have to really like Braun...
Doesn't a first seem too much just to get Thompson? I have no idea what Denver is doing so it is difficult to predict. It appears they may be using the restricted FA to really corner Watson.
I could see Braun bouncing back. My issue is if he does bounce back, he is probably only slightly overpaid. If he only improves a little or stays the same he is grossly overpaid. I am not a fan of taking on contracts where the upside is he is only slightly overpaid. So I would pass on this.
I just don't know what Denver does though.

