07-08-2026, 09:28 AM
Couple of thoughts/questions as the dust settles from recent trades...
I think we can all agree that Kyrie is not a typical QB-type point guard, often because his scoring is key to victory. At best (which is REALLY great!) he's a combo guard or a small SG with all-world handles and great scoring ability. If the youngsters can improve team scoring and efficiency (low bar compared to last season), is it possible that Kyrie can (will?), in fact, take on a more QB-type role? Thereby preserving his recently repaired knee and reduce the wear and tear of taking his game into the paint? If he has Flagg and Rez (and Aldama?) to take the abuse inside, is his leadership more valuable helping the team develop together rather than carrying the scoring load game after game? Maybe tweaking the game plan in real time based on what he sees, his experience and his BBIQ?
Also, do we expect May to continue to make Flagg "uncomfortable"? I always felt like Kidd was trying to make him into a more coachable Luka-lite, to everyone's frustration. I do think it helped Flagg learn how to compete in the NBA more rapidly, but it seemed like it was grinding him down to the point that ROTY stats were the only thing keeping him going toward the end. I think that creator/initiator is still a part of his game, but maybe not the main part? IDK what that means exactly.
One of Luka's frustrations (though he rarely said it publicly) was a lack of trust in his teammates. You could see the disappointment when he drew the defense, made a great pass to an open shooter and watched the shot clang off the rim. I think this only reinforced his do-it-all playing style. I am very hopeful that this team, with improved perimeter shooting and higher BBIQ, will develop the trust and respect that you have to have for a successful NBA campaign. This is extends to the overall organization as well, including coaching, training and support staff.
OK. I guess it's back to work now.
I think we can all agree that Kyrie is not a typical QB-type point guard, often because his scoring is key to victory. At best (which is REALLY great!) he's a combo guard or a small SG with all-world handles and great scoring ability. If the youngsters can improve team scoring and efficiency (low bar compared to last season), is it possible that Kyrie can (will?), in fact, take on a more QB-type role? Thereby preserving his recently repaired knee and reduce the wear and tear of taking his game into the paint? If he has Flagg and Rez (and Aldama?) to take the abuse inside, is his leadership more valuable helping the team develop together rather than carrying the scoring load game after game? Maybe tweaking the game plan in real time based on what he sees, his experience and his BBIQ?
Also, do we expect May to continue to make Flagg "uncomfortable"? I always felt like Kidd was trying to make him into a more coachable Luka-lite, to everyone's frustration. I do think it helped Flagg learn how to compete in the NBA more rapidly, but it seemed like it was grinding him down to the point that ROTY stats were the only thing keeping him going toward the end. I think that creator/initiator is still a part of his game, but maybe not the main part? IDK what that means exactly.
One of Luka's frustrations (though he rarely said it publicly) was a lack of trust in his teammates. You could see the disappointment when he drew the defense, made a great pass to an open shooter and watched the shot clang off the rim. I think this only reinforced his do-it-all playing style. I am very hopeful that this team, with improved perimeter shooting and higher BBIQ, will develop the trust and respect that you have to have for a successful NBA campaign. This is extends to the overall organization as well, including coaching, training and support staff.
OK. I guess it's back to work now.


![[-]](https://www.mavsboard.com/images/collapse.png)