Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 130, Kings 111
(02-13-2020, 11:52 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 11:23 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: It pains me to say this, but part of KP’s improved play is probably tied to Powell’s injury.

I had not put that together yet.....but, yes, you are absolutely correct I think. 

If Powell's injury forces Luka and KP to learn how to do pick and roll together, then in a strange way his injury may be one of the best things to happen to their careers.

Yeah,  There were quite a few times early in the season that Luka was solely focused on either getting to the basket or hitting Powell on a roll.  Both are among the most efficient outcomes in the entire NBA.  What I noticed though was KP was often wide open and was ignored.  Luka would occasionally hit someone in the corner, but rarely threw it out above the break to KP.  

It made sense.  KP’s only month above 36% on 3’s is the current one.  He had one month of 35%, two of 33% and one of 31%. But between Luka’s injuries and Powell being out, KP has been forced into the deep end.  The good news is he’s come through.  This kind of ball movement combined with two unstoppable offensive players (at least recently) makes this a REALLY fun offense to watch.  I’ve complained about running one system (Luka ball) when Luka is in and a beautiful ball movement O when he’s out.  If last night is a foreshadowing of a shift, it is an awesome shift.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 130, Kings 111 - by DanSchwartzgan - 02-13-2020, 12:28 PM