Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 130, Kings 111
(02-13-2020, 10:42 AM)Kammrath Wrote: [Luka+KP] for the season is +5.8....this is +0.1 better than the overall team rating of +5.7. At some point they were significantly below the team rating so there has been improvement.

[Luka+THJ] is +13.7 for the season and [Luka+DP] was +10.4. That is what you are hoping to get [Luka+KP] up to. 

Last night they were +43.3....so that's a good start. Smile

THJ has been great and important but Seth's ball handling and offensive creation responsibilities makes him way more important in the long run IMO. If you double Luka, Seth will destroy you.

Thanks for bringing up those numbers.  It pains me to say this, but part of KP’s improved play is probably tied to Powell’s injury.  Despite all the complaints about Powell, the team played well when he was on the court.  As you say, Powell with the other four is +10 and Maxi with the other four is -5.5.  Powell was very involved in the offense and very efficient which basically made KP the fourth priority among the starters.  With Powell gone, KP has to be counted on more and hopefully with the rust starting to shake off will be as good in the offensive role (or roll) as he’s been recently.

What I find fascinating now is who is our 5th starter.  I agree Seth is killing it, but I think he Is best used as the first guy off the bench.  He can finish games much like Terry did.  Maybe the 5th starter is situational.  If Maxi is needed for size, he starts.  If MKG is needed to defend a mobile PF or large wing, he starts.  If a team has a guy capable of effectively defending Luka, maybe Seth starts (I might have said Brunson or Wright, but neither has seemed to fit that well with Luka).  

The other interesting thing is figuring out the implications for next summer.  Donnie pretty amazingly grabbed two fairly youngish former top 5 picks for free.  I think MKG may surprise us.  I think WCS is a bench 5 and MKG is a 4 who probably can’t play in lineups with WCS (so he has to be in with KP or Maxi).  If both stick we are arguably up to 10 good rotation players (not counting Powell and Jackson) and we don’t have an obvious 5th starter.  Almost the entire team has an area of specialization they are really good at.  It will be interesting to see which of those valuable roles we are willing to give up for someone who can be more of a complete two-way player.  They could literally be any position 1-4 and fit on this roster.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 130, Kings 111 - by DanSchwartzgan - 02-13-2020, 11:23 AM