Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do w/ Dwight Powell and his $33M?
The tough thing with Powell is that his game is built on athleticism of which he took a huge hit. I actually think we are probably over estimating that hit to some extent. He will probably still be able to roll to the basket, dunk a basketball and move his feet. We have seen 35 yr old JJB still doing JJB things so it's not impossible that he can be effective.

The guy I might compare him to post-injury would be a slightly more athletic Zaza Pachulia. Zaza was a feet on the ground center that played defense with his feet and was very crafty around the rim. Mavs and GSW used him as the roll guy effectively despite the fact he wasn't catching alley-oops.

Zaza was not a 40 mil dollar player but effective on both the Mavs and GSW teams. My point is that it's possible and probably even likely that Powell will be an effective member of the rotation. Is his 10 mil-ish a year the best use of those funds? Probably not but it could be worse.

(02-10-2020, 03:08 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 02:10 PM)MFFLJunpei Wrote: it happen time to time that Mavs developed mediocre player into a good rotation player, then start believing no one else on the market can play better than that guy, and Mavs become so reluctant to trade away that player for upgrade.

true, like

Brandan Wright and
Devin Harris

btw Mavs traded both guys and traded Harris twice lol
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What to do w/ Dwight Powell and his $33M? - by StepBackJay - 02-10-2020, 05:27 PM