Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Willie Cauley-Stein to DAL | UTA 2nd to GSW
Don't get me wrong, when you give up basically nothing and get something you are getting good value.  With that said, I'm a bit dubious of the "he's better than Powell" statements being made.

The one comparison I care most about is one on one in the post defensively against the AD's and Jokic's of the world.  That is where Powell really struggled (not that anyone else was any better).  WCS has an opportunity to be better here.  He's slightly bigger and is a better shot blocker.  To me, this is the key benefit of having him if he puts forth the effort.  I've thought since July that we were missing someone like this (even when Powell was healthy).  If he can play good post D, I think we can concentrate our trade assets on a 4/3 or 3/4 type who can help with the Lebron's and Leonard's of the world.

Offensively, WCS is a rim runner, but not in the same class as Powell.  The hope is that Luka and Carlisle will make him better.  Powell's poor shooting from 3 drove some crazy.  WCS has a propensity to launch long 2's and is really bad at them (like worse than Powell is at 3's).  Carlisle will have to cut those out of his game.  So, TBD on that.  WCS is also really good in transition (but is now on a team that plays a fairly slow pace...23rd of 30).  

The one area I mainly wanted to address...and it is worrisome...is rebounding.  I think WCS's rebounding stats may be fool's gold.  Yes, his rebounding percent numbers are better than Powell's.  HOWEVER, if you look at team rebounding when he is on or off the court, team rebounding is always worse when WCS is in.  What that says is he's pretty good at getting his boards, but does nothing to help team rebounding (like blocking out).

So, I'm glad we got him.  I'm glad he was cheap (once again the Mav's take advantage of teams with financial issues) and I hope he can help us with post D.  There is great reason for hope offensively and if WCS is motivated, we could make him several million dollars the next few months.  The question is Will he be motivated?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Willey Cauley-Stein to DAL - by omahen - 01-24-2020, 06:17 PM
RE: TRADE: Willey Cauley-Stein to DAL - by cow - 01-24-2020, 06:37 PM
RE: TRADE: Willey Cauley-Stein to DAL - by cow - 01-24-2020, 06:45 PM
RE: TRADE: Willie Cauley-Stein to DAL - by Jym - 01-24-2020, 06:21 PM
RE: TRADE: Willie Cauley-Stein to DAL | UTA 2nd to GSW - by DanSchwartzgan - 01-25-2020, 09:25 AM