Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kobe: Three women able to play in NBA...
(01-23-2020, 08:23 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That´s obviously not possible in basketball but I think in a sport like baseball, volleyball or soccer it is possible for women to play at the highest level.
So 16 yo couldn't beat some of the top women (not sure what League 1 is, if it is top women)? Does that mean they can make the jump to men's professional Soccer in Europe? Has it happened? Because that's one of the sports where they've been doing it for a lot longer at a higher level.

Soccer isn't about size and athleticism? Those guys get pretty physical out there, they're also a ton faster/quicker. 

For that example, we can make an apples to apples comparison. How fast are the fastest women sprinters in the world? Now how fast are the fastest men sprinters? I started looking that up and found this article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a...ot/260927/

So, for 55 years, "in every sport that can be measured this way, the peak performance of the world's best female athletes tops out at around 90 percent of the peak performance of the world's best male athletes." There is a graph in the article and before the last 55 years, women were a lot lower.

Before someone says, what about the very best women vs the worst of the men competing? Well, women's olympics has been around probably longer than any other womens sport. To that end, there has been more women training and working to be the best and the data has shown a 90% trend for 55 years. That's a lot to overcome. Again from the article "Women today, for example, swim as fast as men did forty years ago. The women's world record for butterfly ties Mark Spitz's 1967 record."

Back to team sports. You have to look at where the women's sport has been competing for a long time and it has to be apples to apples, because women have been competing in SOFTball for a long time, but that isn't BASEball. Also, there is strength issues in baseball as with every sport. Maybe a girl could pinch hit at some point in baseball, and maybe they could hit a 95 mph BASEball at some point, but you couldn't put them on the field and hope that they're gonna throw out a runner at the speed that a male counterpart would. They would have to be able to do both things. And they haven't even started that journey in a competitive manner (to my knowledge) to this point (is there women's professional BASEball?).

I am not trying to beat my chest and say "I am man, hear me roar". I'm just saying as women get better, the men aren't standing still. One last thing from the article: "And there could be social factors that shrink the available pool of women out of which the best athletes can emerge. In the US, let alone in other areas of the world, women make up only 41 percent of high school athletes." That says a lot of it to me.

I think girls would have to be integrated into boys sports long before the professional level in order for that 1 women to emerge. Having that same practice and performance/competition as the boys do while growing up is where the change would occur IMO. Even then, it would take a while for it to actually happen IMO.

(01-23-2020, 08:46 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: field goal kicker in football
I watched this documentary called "Necessary Roughness" that had the first women field goal kicker. So that has already happened!

(01-23-2020, 08:46 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: A Goalie in hockey
Don't see it for the same reason a women soccer goalie hasn't emerged.

That article I posted also had a snippet that is another part of the whole reason: 

"Taking a kind of wild shot at which biological factors might affect athletic performance, Hammerman looked at hemoglobin counts and the maximum amount of oxygen an athlete can use in a minute.
And guess what he found? Men have an average of 13.6 to 17.5 grams of hemoglobin per decalliter in their blood. Women have 12.0 to 15.5 g/dl.

The ratio? .88 to .89.

And while maximum oxygen consumption statistics are harder to measure and harder to come by, if you compare them for four accomplished long distance runners of each gender, they average to 72.7 for women and 82.1 for men. 72.7 is about 89 percent of 82.1."

I guess you could take from that that the female athlete in the 15.5 g/dl could compete with the male at 13.6 g/dl.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kobe: Three women able to play in NBA... - by ItsGoTime - 01-23-2020, 09:18 AM