Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
NEWS: China upset w/ NBA...NBA will lose $400 million
The thing I've been against so far in this thread is the framing of NBA vs China in light of U.S. Internet Politics and our culture war. And I still don't think that's the way to make sense of this stuff.

I think Kam has had this pegged from the beginning. It looks like the players are upset because Morey cost them some money.

I don't know, maybe my stance (which I'm still trying to sort out) is too complicated, but here it is: The NBA's silence about Hong Kong protesters didn't bother me, even though I knew it was because they were trying to save their business interest in China, because I don't really expect them to have comments about China, Sudan, Yemen, Syria, Iraq, etc. I just don't expect that from the NBA...

BUT! I would stand up (or kneel) for any human's right to denounce wrongs and speak freely about their thoughts on things that need to change. 

The players asking Silver to put punish Morey crosses a line. I appreciate Silver's previous statement that validated Morey's right to voice support for Hong Kong protesters. I'm sure Silver would like to do business in China, but he, at least, couldn't let his greed motivate him to denounce Morey. The players are allowing their greed to turn them in to hypocrites.

So at this point I can see Bama's and others' point. To the players: Don't just stand for human rights when it costs you very little, but then rush to judge someone standing for human rights because it cost you dollars. 

Now I gotta make sure I'm living this out. Am I willing to do things for others at a cost to myself?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: China upset w/ NBA...teams planning for 20-21 salary cap to drop up to 15% - by fifteenth - 10-15-2019, 09:16 AM