Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 3.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
50.00%
6 50.00%
Nuggets
50.00%
6 50.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 37: DEN (26-11) @ DAL (23-14) | 106-107 loss
(01-09-2020, 07:42 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Dahl: Mavs seem to only be comfortable with Luka there, and he's great but also not a true Big man and is taking punishment.
Carlisle makes up for it to a large degree with a lot of lobs and cuts from his bigs so its not as though they can't compete, but they come up short on options when those are taken away.
it's not an option for the most part in Carlisle's systems and at times, his teams miss it and pay for it as other teams they are chasing, like Denver tonight, do have it.

—-

Re. Your above point. Maybe that is the fix for this team’s clutch offense.  You are correct that this team plays a 4 or 5 out offense and relies on cuts/movement to get easier baskets. The problem is in clutch time there seems to be too much standing around and it’s almost like they forget what has got them there.  So the offense looks worse than it is especially when you lose tough games.

The quickest fix for me would be putting Jackson in the finishing line up.  Not because he is among the best 5 as much as the fact that he is always moving. If you then can get one more guy to not just stay static in the clutch, IMO. this offense could be much more difficult to defend on the clutch too... post ups or no post ups.

Your point there is almost certainly more in line with Rick Carlisle's thinking then what I wished he would consider although I know he almost certainly won't change his fundamental style.  Fundamentally he doesn't want or feels he needs the traditional post up sets and the traditional inside offensive big men in his offense. 

Coach Carlisle's comments and approach indicates that he thinks the team just needs to do a better job of executing the offense as he designs and teaches it.  If they do that he probably feels they'll be fine in the 1/2 court and in the clutch. 

Mavs championship team had the 3 headed 5 of Chandler, Haywood Mahinmi.  No real post up players there but they did have good offensive ability among them and they definitely had the beefiness and rebounding to compete with anyone inside.  
No sure we're seeing enough of that on this team, particularly because they hardly use Boban, their best rebounding and inside offensive Big. 

So yeah, My guess is Carlisle is going to keep trying get these young guys to try and run his system closer to perfection, as you describe it, not likely to add a fundamental difference as a wrinkle to fix closing problemd.

(01-09-2020, 10:09 AM)hakeemfan Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 08:54 AM)bartlettbear Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 07:42 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Dahl: Mavs seem to only be comfortable with Luka there, and he's great but also not a true Big man and is taking punishment.
Carlisle makes up for it to a large degree with a lot of lobs and cuts from his bigs so its not as though they can't compete, but they come up short on options when those are taken away.
it's not an option for the most part in Carlisle's systems and at times, his teams miss it and pay for it as other teams they are chasing, like Denver tonight, do have it.

—-

Re. Your above point. Maybe that is the fix for this team’s clutch offense.  You are correct that this team plays a 4 or 5 out offense and relies on cuts/movement to get easier baskets. The problem is in clutch time there seems to be too much standing around and it’s almost like they forget what has got them there.  So the offense looks worse than it is especially when you lose tough games.

The quickest fix for me would be putting Jackson in the finishing line up.  Not because he is among the best 5 as much as the fact that he is always moving. If you then can get one more guy to not just stay static in the clutch, IMO. this offense could be much more difficult to defend on the clutch too... post ups or no post ups.

You are correct but see that makes him top 5 becuase he can shot and finish and create his own shot and he moves with out the ball better than on the team

Posting up Luka the end of the game would solve all you problems,

run a pick and pop with  Hardaway and say KP  on one side of court send a cross with the other wing towards Luka,  then Luka end up ball side on the low block, 

Rick need to retract his statement about post basketball and win some game.

I have said this before. Whatever Denver is doing with Jokic, do that with Luka. Luka can do all those things..pass, shoot, post up.  You don’t want to limit his creativity by just having him post up but just need to change his mindset to be more like Jokic in knowing when to give up the ball and when to punish the defense.

I agree with this more than I disagree, but I do think in terms of post offense around the rim, Jokic > Luka.  Joker just shot right over top of a leaping DFS for an almost guaranteed bucket.  That sort of inside bucket is not quite as easy for Luka. 
You still can't teach size.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 37: DEN (26-11) @ DAL (23-14) | 106-107 loss - by Dahlsim - 01-09-2020, 04:14 PM