Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 44: Phoenix Suns (25-18) vs. Dallas Mavericks (24-19)
A very dissapointing loss, obviously. Mavs started really well and fell apart in the second half. Really surprised by Luka kicking out a fan. Come on man, you are not that. You played in toughest arenas in the world and always loved trash talking with fans. Two things that imho had biggest impact on this game turning around as it did were GW being stupid and Luka twisting ankle. He just wasn't the same afterwards.

I am not really moved by a tough stretch of bad games. Of course the concern is this continues until Mavs get to keep yet another pick. But Mavs showed also a different face this season many times. Played joyful basketball which was fun to watch on most of the nights. The right questions imho are, why this has changed. I could understand they are tired, banged up, frustrations grow when things don't go their way. Mavs were playing great ball in December but I was constantly warning playing Luka 40+ minutes on a nightly basis is not sustainable. Several other players, most notably DJJ and GW have fallen of a cliff.

Big picture wise though, Mavs problem is imho obviously lack of talent. Mavs fielded a line-up that would be an equivalent to Phoenix playing something like Booker, Okogie, Allen, Nurkic and Metu. DJJ just fell of a cliff after a good start to the season. Can't hit a three anymore and defenses just ignore him. Previous game offensive rating with him on the floor was 90, this game it was 80 (abysmal 60 in the second half). More and more showing why he was signed for minimum. I really like him, can be positive in rotation, but it is more and more clear he is far from a starting level player. Enter GW being totally incapable and stupid, and Mavs have a huge PF hole, especially since they had to play Maxi at center as he was the only center available behind Lively. Exum was (understandably) a shadow of the guy playing in December. THJ is a chucker. Only thing he does well is shooting a lot, however he is not really efficient doing it, just 36 % from three. Green is a nice player, but he doesn't have it in him to take it on his shoulders. Could be a good 5th guy, just don't see anything more.

All in all, nothing has really changed for me. I was among more pessimistic after the summer, claiming they have not done enough. I still think one right move would make a huge change for this team. Just don't be impatient. Replacing one role player with another (using assets in the process) will not change much. If anything at all.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 01-24-2024, 10:28 PM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 01-25-2024, 08:33 AM
RE: Game 44: Phoenix Suns (25-18) vs. Dallas Mavericks (24-19) - by omahen - 01-25-2024, 05:10 AM