Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 106, Nuggets 107
(01-09-2020, 11:14 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Yeah, that's a big worry. I imagine they're trying to do this right and prioritize getting and keeping his knees right through PT, rest, strength training, etc.
KP for KAT looks better and better per game missed by KP.

Still not worried as their record is still better than I expected to this point.

(01-09-2020, 09:47 AM)mtrot Wrote: Well, there's your problem right there, RC outsmarting himself again.  Just start Maxi. 
I would have liked Maxi (23 Mins?...really?) getting the start as well, he could have defended Grant with a bit more physicality and possibly stymied his offensive outburst to start the game. 

I'm wondering if THJ's JHo-like big bursts of points in the first quarter is a trend that will stay or will he figure out how to be (point) productive throughout the game. I like the thought of giving Wright time with the starters as well seeing his desire to be a starter as opposed to coming off the bench (also seems that was the offseason plan with THJ coming off the bench) in the recent Athletic interview. 

If RC isn't set with his rotations, I'd like to see another shot at DW over THJ in the starting lineup now that they've both had some time to get familiar with their teammates. THJ's microwave scoring might come better at a later time in the game as opposed to in the first quarter. DW would be a secondary ball handler and creator to help Luka if he can get more decisive than he's shown so far (hopefully that is just a matter of time).

(01-09-2020, 09:47 AM)mtrot Wrote: As to the play with Jokic backing down DFS, I did see Powell make a half hearted dig at the ball for a split second, but he never really got close enough to Jokic to have a chance at the ball, and it was totally ineffective.  IMO, when you have a big tearing you up like Jokic was, you have to make somebody else beat you.  Somebody has to double him hard and make him give up the ball, since he had shown all night that he was going to score if you don't.
I've watched that play a few times now (LACES OUT!). I think, yes, obviously something else should have clicked in the way of help for DFS on Jokic. That's where high end defenders come into play. Recognizing something different should happen and making that difference happen.

In the play, the design was to get the mismatch for Jokic and Murray and them play the 2 man post to 3 point shooter game. Powell started out defending Jokic, but switched on a screen set by Murray who was guarded by DFS. Now it's DFS on Jokic and Powell on Murray, big advantage Den. The play was broken up when Jokic showed what they were doing by passing the ball out to Murray as Powell was showing a half-hearted double on Jokic. 

Once re-set with plenty of time on the clock, Powell has to make a decision, does he double Jokic and leave Murray wide open for 3 (or actually trust his teammates to cover his man, which again, defensive minded teammates would do that), or stay on his man and let DFS fend for himself on the guy going off on everybody trying to cover him this half. Murray gives the entry pass and Powell once again, shows a non-committal double team. His teammates at that point have no chance to really help out cause they don't know what Powell is going to do. 

One alternate reality thing that could have happened is both Luka and Wright were guarding 2 guys that were pretty much right on top of eachother in the corner. One of those 2 could have covered the 2 while the other comes up on Jokic's blindside and disrupt the play in some way. Wright is supposed to be a defensive minded guy, so I don't like that he didn't do something like that. However, Powell's non-commitment could have frozen any defensive creativity that should have been. If Powell (or alternatively a better defender than Powell) commits one way or the other, the other guys then have to think quickly what the best coverage should be. Better defensive-minded guys, do all of this.

Another alternate reality thing could have been once the play was broken up, Powell quickly switches with DFS so the bigger mismatch isn't in the play. 

I suspect that RC told them all to stick to their man in the huddle, because THJ didn't even look like he was in any way looking to help Powell out either (on top of Luka and DW).

Sucks that it happened that way, wish we had won, but this to me, is yet another tip of the hat to this team needing better defenders. I know the counter argument is going to be more or better ball handlers/creators, because once again, all we needed to do was score 1 or 2 more buckets and we put this away. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat, I suppose, just think we can decrease to being the #3 offense in the league (Wait, what? It's blasphemy to not be the #1 all time offense) while improving to be the #8ish defense and be just fine. With a couple moves (unfortunately those couple moves weren't made in the offseason, so now here we are) I believe that could happen.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 106, Nuggets 107 - by ItsGoTime - 01-09-2020, 11:45 AM